Lightweight build recommendation

For a lightweight build, with elk on the menu but limited to say 500 and in, which would you prefer?

• Long and skinny barrel

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Shorter, thicker barrel+suppressor

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters
@chav0_12 , I've got a short magnum bolt face on the way right now
Where'd you order it from? I haven't been able to find anything. Might change the idea I have for a build. Also have you considered the small shank and large shank differences?

Where'd you order it from? I haven't been able to find anything. Might change the idea I have for a build. Also have you considered the small shank and large shank differences?
Call Owen at Front Range Precision, he's got Origins (or did last week) and bolt faces…the beauty of the Bighorn, five minutes or less it can be whatever you want it to be.

Keep an eye on the classifieds here. The reading I've seen has said small shank should be fine in the WSM lineups. Additionally, I'd have the barrel cut as a shouldered barrel on that one in the very least, which would add a touch more meat for the chamber.

Keep an eye on the classifieds here. The reading I've seen has said small shank should be fine in the WSM lineups. Additionally, I'd have the barrel cut as a shouldered barrel on that one in the very least, which would add a touch more meat for the chamber.
For sure. In my mind there's no reason it shouldn't work. I have a 28 Nosler on a small shank, it's not skinnier than a WSM and I don't have a problem with it.

Just making sure. Some people forget to think of things like that.

Sorry, 6 is the goal knowing I'm going to be adding the 16 oz can, too.
I am a big fan of the Savage actions due to its DIY friendliness. I have a few projects built with 110s/111s, but one of them is as light as your end weight goal. Is your rifle set-up weight goal hunt ready (scoped minus suppressor)? Matching the 110 with UL components is costly and a tall order. What stock are you considering? Good luck!

I am a big fan of the Savage actions due to its DIY friendliness. I have a few projects built with 110s/111s, but one of them is as light as your end weight goal. Is your rifle set-up weight goal hunt ready (scoped minus suppressor)? Matching the 110 with UL components is costly and a tall order. What stock are you considering? Good luck!
Ready to hunt, with can and all, I think I'd like to be around 7.5 pounds. Not trying to go CRAZY light.

Check out the new CA Ridgeline FFT. 300 PRC with a 22in barrel.

Attachments

• 04D0DC75-568C-42E2-B997-8A8B603A5AD0.jpeg
    04D0DC75-568C-42E2-B997-8A8B603A5AD0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
For sure. In my mind there's no reason it shouldn't work. I have a 28 Nosler on a small shank, it's not skinnier than a WSM and I don't have a problem with it.

Just making sure. Some people forget to think of things like that.
What exactly is considered as a small shank as far as dimensions?

Ready to hunt, with can and all, I think I'd like to be around 7.5 pounds. Not trying to go CRAZY light.
Knowing which components to use will help you on what barrel length and contour to use that can support your suppressor.

Savage LA weight (including trigger)?
Stock weight?
Scope weight (including base/scope rings)?
Barrel weight?

Good luck!

It is tough to get to the target weight of 7.5 lb ready to hunt. I thought about this as a goal initially on a build. Could not get there. I'm sure it can be done, but not without either cutting down the barrel significantly or going with a fluted pencil barrel. Don't even think about a large number of higher end scopes that weigh less than 25 oz's. It is a very short list. Good luck on this journey. I wish you the best of success.

It is tough to get to the target weight of 7.5 lb ready to hunt. I thought about this as a goal initially on a build. Could not get there. I'm sure it can be done, but not without either cutting down the barrel significantly or going with a fluted pencil barrel. Don't even think about a large number of higher end scopes that weigh less than 25 oz's. It is a very short list. Good luck on this journey. I wish you the best of success.
Yep! This is the lightest hunt ready I have without going the expensive NULA route. It is a Kimber 84L Hunter .30-06 that I have re-chambered to .30 Gibbs.

.30 GIBBS weight.jpg

.30 Gibbs scoped 1 of .jpg

I was not shooting for a light set-up, but my latest budget build with Savage LA is a .257 WBY with a 22" barrel, hunt ready with suppressor (Eliteiron Bravo SD) is over 14 pounds

.257 WBTY Savage 110 LA hunt ready with suppressor..jpg

Yeah, like I said, I don't know that I would like to see what the budget would be to get it that low. As it sits now the factory Savage 16 LWH (308) with mounted scope in the factory stock and the can with quick detach adapter come in at 8.4 pounds. That's probably where it would end up. I could save at least half a pound with a direct thread titanium can, but I don't want to wait or spend that much on that aspect of the project. The scope could cut probably half a pound by going with a lighter and lower magnification setup than the Vortex Viper, but I'm going to want probably 12-16 on the top end of magnification anyways, so again, it gets really expensive for the gain to be achieved. I'd guess going blind mag in a McMillan Edge would save another 4-6 ounces, having not independently weighed the factory stock. So 7.5 is certainly doable, just spendy to get there. So, the conclusion I'm coming to would be to try to replicate the weight of the factory barrel with my aftermarket or shave an ounce or two there.