Light rifle optics

74sharps

Since I have so much time on my hands right now...I've been looking to get a scope for a new to me BSA CF-2 Stutzen In 270 Win. Now this beauty comes in at 7 to 8 lbs so I'd like to top it with a very light scope. These are what I've been eyeing so far.
SWFA 2-10x32 Ultra light. Eye relief is a concern.
Leupold 2-8x36. Have one and like it. It's on a 300 yd max rifle
Maven 2-10x38 Would like to try this scope, but not many reviewed
Vortex 1.5-8 Razor HD LH Really like the size and weight of this optic, and for some reason the reticle
Vortex 2-10x40 HD LH Slightly larger than previous optic but gives higher max magnification
Not a fan of Vortex. These last 2 optics have good reviews and seem to be well liked by hunters. One other note, the Vortex scopes listed have been discontinued making them slightly harder to find. I'd like to stay in the $400 to $600 price range. Any informative contributions would be appreciated.

Leupold vx3-2.5-8 fine scope!

I wouldn't discount the smaller night force 3-10? Not lightweight per se but not heavy either more solid than heavy. If any of that makes sense to you. I have both mentioned on light rifles and prefer the leupold for wood rifles and night force for my kimber .280 montana. Lighted duplex also excellent.

vx-r scopes very good fit too for you I imagine...
If looking for illuminated dot.

Joe.

adk, the Leupold 2-8 is a great scope. It's definitely not out of the mix. I've heard some very mixed reviews on the VXRs. Night Force is a great scope, weight is a negative on that one.
Hello Doug, I have been looking at Swarovski, and Zeiss as well. I won't discount those. I always kind of put those optics on the premium level price wise.

I have had the Leupold VX3 2.5 - 8x on shotguns, muzzleloaders and short range rifles. Great scope for the money.

I have a swaro Z6i 1.7-10 on my light mountain rifle and it's significantly better optically but costs 3 times more.

For light weight look at the leupold freedoms. It's really impressive for the price. I believe now you can get ones that dial. I have 1 on a tikka 308 and it does a great job. Best wishes

My Weatherby Ultra Light( 5 3/4 lbs ) 24 inch BBL, in 270 Win. wears a Leupold 2.5X to 8X with a 40mm Objective lens, with Leupold Rings and bases. Love that set up. Feels like a handy 7 pounds. If I'm ever that concerned about shaving off another 6 or 8 ounces, I take off my SS wrist watch.

Since I have so much time on my hands right now...I've been looking to get a scope for a new to me BSA CF-2 Stutzen In 270 Win. Now this beauty comes in at 7 to 8 lbs so I'd like to top it with a very light scope. These are what I've been eyeing so far.
SWFA 2-10x32 Ultra light. Eye relief is a concern.
Leupold 2-8x36. Have one and like it. It's on a 300 yd max rifle
Maven 2-10x38 Would like to try this scope, but not many reviewed
Vortex 1.5-8 Razor HD LH Really like the size and weight of this optic, and for some reason the reticle
Vortex 2-10x40 HD LH Slightly larger than previous optic but gives higher max magnification
Not a fan of Vortex. These last 2 optics have good reviews and seem to be well liked by hunters. One other note, the Vortex scopes listed have been discontinued making them slightly harder to find. I'd like to stay in the $400 to $600 price range. Any informative contributions would be appreciated.
Use a leupold 4x14x40 cds scope around 15 ounces

If you are sticking with a top end magnification of 8-10x the Swaro Z3 series is where you need to be! Nothing else can compare for glass and they are VERY light.

Do some looking I'm sure you can find one in your price range and maybe Doug can help you out!

Leupold vx3i 3.5-10x40. 14 ounces with Alumina caps. Decent field of view and glass for the price. Have one on my light weight 308. Wildcat composite stock, (25 ounces), Proof Research 22 inch light Sendaro barrel throated long, Rem 700 accurized action, DLC coated with PT&G bolt, and Wyatt cut, (COAL up to 2.99). Triggertech Special, Leupold one piece Backcountry rings and PT&G hinged floor plate. It weighs in at a true 7.6lbs all up. Don't think I could get it much lighter.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts