Light Mountain Rifle Ideas

Alaskasourdough,

you really need to stop talking so much crap. Sure you seem to know something about light rifles. This is a long range hunting forum, not a featherweight rifle forum, if you think shooting moose, elk, grizz, deer etc at 1/2 mile is Neanderthal like, get out of here. This is what many members have done, are doing, and will continue to do so in the future.

Long Time Long Ranger is an extremely knowledgable and experienced member, we don't need some keyboard commando's yourself come on here saying you hope he dies out. That's pathetic, who do you think you are? Is this a way to introduce yourself?

We've lost numerous awsome members due to semi knowledgable full of themselves with a knack for being asses like you have so far established yourself as SO FAR. I think you do know what your talking about, so if this behaviour is an anomily I think you'd be welcome here.

Keep your **** to yourself or go back to "actually spending your life hunting and shooting" like you were saying none of us actually do. I cannot stand this kindnof behaviour, neither can anyone else on this site.

Ahem...guys, with all due respect to all, can we start over here? The original poster did ask about a light rifle build so is it not reasonable to make recommendations? If I was out of line for addressing it and making a recommendation, then I guess I should have left the thread alone.

I enjoy this and other forums because I am continuously trying to learn. I enjoy the heck out of reading other's experiences, and definitely the photos.

Holy crap alaskasourdough you are long winded!!!! Get a remington model 7 .308 drop it in a Lone wolf summit stock. A friend did this and without scope it was like 4lbs 14 oz. The .308 will do anything you need to do in a ultralight rifle.

I've been hunting with a rem 700 mountain rifle in 7stw for 13 years. It's 5 3/4
lbs and holds 3/4 moa. It's all I think I'll ever need. They came with a McMillan stock.

With the rifles and weight range I discussed there's no such thing as having just enough weight in it to be effective at a fairly long range, regardless of the shooter. I has nothing to do with the weight of the rifle, it's all the shooter. People that make those claims are people looking for an excuse to save face. If you can't shoot a light weight rifle effectively then your skills are just lacking behind those of us that can. It's true most people can shoot a heavier rifle a little better that comes down to skill. Some of it is practice while some is based on the fact that some are just naturally better than others. Just because you can't shoot well with a lightweight rifle doesn't mean others can't.

Sir-Can you better define what you mean by the phrase above "effective at fairly long range"....in terms of target size (inches, MILs, MOA, etc) and distance.

Thanks!

How do you know he is banned?
He is obviously not banned, but personal insults taken to this level usually get someone warned at least. Going to the bloodline level is one I have not seen on this forum.

Now to add something useful to the light weight theme:

I have two rifles that I would consider light weight. One I am just finishing up, built on a WSSM push feed action, with the action slabbed, and the bolt fluted and skeletonized. The barrel is a Mcgowan CM Winchester featherweight contour in 270 (270-243wssm), trimmed to 20". I am waiting on the stock, going blind magazine with a trimmed down aluminum trigger guard. I always wanted a short 270, and I am hoping the weight comes in under 5 pounds, but it depends on how the stock works out. I am also going to go with a thin harder rubber recoil pad. The pad can actually add/remove several ounces easily.

I also have a HS pro-hunter lite. 325wsm. The little rifle is pretty light, the barrel is a #3 contour with some pretty deep flutes, it looks to be on the edge safety wise, especially with this bore size. To some it is not considered a "light" rifle, but scoped with a vx3 4.5-14x40 in PRW rings, butler creek sling and with 3 rounds in the mag (mag not in the rifle, only placed on the scale) it comes in at 6 pounds 8 ounces.

If you pack my 338 edge (somewhere north of 20 pounds) around for a bit, the HS 325 feels like a toy BB gun.

Lets get things back on track!

I built a 7mmWSM on a stiller short action, Pac Nor lightweight contour, with an edge ultralight stock. 6lbs all up with a 4.5x14x40, target elevation turret installed, and talley LW's. My 1st goal with this gun was the weight, second how it shoots. Not specifically built as a LR gun per se, but it will get it done out to 600 if no other shot presented itself.

Recoil is manageable, but you definately feel it, off the bench anyhow! 140 Bergers at 3250 fps.

This gun holds .5 moa out to 300 yards, and gives up a bit past 300 out to 600, still around 1 moa ( +-) at 600 yards. Furthest I have shot it is 600 yards.

In field/mountain conditions there is no way a 6 lb gun will shoot with a 12 lb gun past 300 yards, especially shooting off a pack, some wind, laboured breathing, general hunting conditions.

I would stick with a regular stainless REM700 action and skeletonize it rather than the titanium. The weight savings between the two is not enough to warrant the cost. What money you save between the two actions you can put towards a lighter stock etc. Why not stick with the same caliber as your long range gun so you can use the same brass, primers etc?
I have a 338L built lightweight and it shoots quite nice. I don't think I could shoot it past 600yards for reasons AndyW has stated in his post but it fits the job I built it for. It does have a pretty good thump to the shoulder but it is manageable. So far it only takes one shot to do the job so I can deal with the recoil.

Tikka T-3 light. I think they weigh about 6-3/8 pounds in magnum. Great trigger, inexpensive and extremely accurate. I just hunted all over Alaska with mine in 338 winchester and was a pleasure. Deadly on big game to a half mile. I have a 13.9 ounce swarovski 4-12 on it and with 4 ounce bipod I am hunting at about 7-1/2 pounds. I have taken grizzly, sheep, moose and caribou with the 338 winchester in Alaska with good success. This is the best carry rifle I have ever used for the weight and performance.

I have two of these in 7mm Rem Mag. For their cost, I tend to agree that the Tikka T3's are hard to beat. With some careful load development, one of mine retains sufficient accuracy to engage large game out to 1000 yds. The other is more of a 800 yd rifle.

In spite of what was mentioned earlier - and since deleted - moose are the easiest 'common' game in Alaska to harvest at extended ranges. They've got like a 20-24" by 24" kill zone. And they aren't particularly tough. A single expanding bullet through the boiler room is all that's needed on a broadside shot. They'll be down in short order. Only bison may present a larger lethal zone. And bison permits are rarer than hen's teeth.

If the OP wants to spend more money, their are certainly many custom options. I would expect the sky is the limit. I would contact some gunsmiths specializing in the ultralight custom rifle market and find one that seems to be agreeable to your preferences and see what you come up with. I would certainly coordinate with a selected gunsmith before purchasing components. Good luck and good shooting.

Stupid Tikka! I hear how great they are all the time. Now I have to go buy another rifle. My wife sends her thanks phorwath

Stupid Tikka! I hear how great they are all the time. Now I have to go buy another rifle. My wife sends her thanks phorwath

Hey, that's what are fellow hunters are for. Propagating and perpetuating riflery and hunting... :D
The Tikka T3 Lite's are a lot of gun for the money. Quite a bargain. Your wife will just have to remind you that you got a very 'good deal'. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.