Light load for a 7m rem mag?

NONYA

Im putting together a rifle for a 14 year old kid who has never hunted before and it is a 7mm RM,wondering if any of you have load data for a load you have worked up for a small hunter.Im also looking to buy a model 700 BDL LA bottom metal if anyone has a used one for sale please let me know. Thanxgun)

Full house loads + break= pussycat. I personally won't cheat a caliber to possibly reduce recoil. Put a break on it and take full advantage of that great cartridge.

Full house loads + break= pussycat. I personally won't cheat a caliber to possibly reduce recoil. Put a break on it and take full advantage of that great cartridge.

Break is out of the question,this is being put together and gifted to his mother on a LOW budget.gun)

Don't assume the kid can't handle the recoil. When I was 12 I was using a 30-06 for deer and loved it every time I pulled the trigger. IF the recoil proves a bit much then and only then drop down to the min loads with relatively light bullets in any of the major reloading manuals - Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Berger, Barnes

Break is out of the question,this is being put together and gifted to his mother on a LOW budget.gun)

I did this for a friend in the same situation way back when in the old country:). Don't know if I still have my notes on this or not but I will check. Off hand I think it was 58 grains of MRP and a hornady 139 grain bullet. Was a sweet shooting rifle and the kid took his first mule deer with it. I believe RL22 is very similar if not identical to Norma MRP.

I would be happy to help you get that kid shootin. I have 100 extra 139gr interlock btsp bullets I will send you if you pm me your address.

I did this for a friend in the same situation way back when in the old country:). Don't know if I still have my notes on this or not but I will check. Off hand I think it was 58 grains of MRP and a hornady 139 grain bullet. Was a sweet shooting rifle and the kid took his first mule deer with it. I believe RL22 is very similar if not identical to Norma MRP.

I would be happy to help you get that kid shootin. I have 100 extra 139gr interlock btsp bullets I will send you if you pm me your address.

Id appreciate any data you can find,I have rl22,primers and brass,the bullets would be appreciated I want to get him out as soon as I get a gun together the only thing has shot is 22lr and I don't want to create a flinch right off the bat.Found out we have a bipod for him today at lunch and Im going to rob a scope off a rifle that's not being used,bottom metal and a sling and hes in business.PM sent gun)

I loaded up some reduced loads for my old 7mm ADL for my (x)wife. 50 g H4895, 215 primers, 120 Balistic Tips. Speed was right around 2700. Shot great. The best thing is that with the 120's and a 200 yard zero I could substitute my then pet load of H-1000 and 150 Balistictips and have a 300 yard zero...dead nuts on!!

Keep in mind, Reduced rifle loads are some of the most dangerous reloads someone can produce and shoot. Especially noteworthy when a kid is behind the gun. There is a great story on here somewhere (I will try to find it) that makes a person think. Use trusted data for YOUR rifle.

FWIW, I know you said no breaks for reasons I don't really understand but it's not like it's a expensive or permanent thing, Simple threads on a muzzle with a break until it is not desired then a thread protector can be put in it's place. I got my 12 and 13 YO's shooting my 7mm Rem mag (with break) with full power loads at 500 meters accurate and lights out on day one, No flinch, No fear. They love it and could shoot it all day. My 7 has the recoil of a 223. Heck I can even shoot it pretty well.

I'm not trying to change your mind just offering food for thought.

Keep in mind, Reduced rifle loads are some of the most dangerous reloads someone can produce and shoot. Especially noteworthy when a kid is behind the gun. There is a great story on here somewhere (I will try to find it) that makes a person think. Use trusted data for YOUR rifle.

FWIW, I know you said no breaks for reasons I don't really understand but it's not like it's a expensive or permanent thing, Simple threads on a muzzle with a break until it is not desired then a thread protector can be put in it's place. I got my 12 and 13 YO's shooting my 7mm Rem mag (with break) with full power loads at 500 meters accurate and lights out on day one, No flinch, No fear. They love it and could shoot it all day. My 7 has the recoil of a 223. Heck I can even shoot it pretty well.

I'm not trying to change your mind just offering food for thought.

Thanx for all the input guys.No break because Im doing this on a very small(no) budget as a favor to this kids aunt.Ive already made sure he got through hunter safety and bought his tags,once we get this shooter together hes ready to roll.gun)

I have been unable to locate my old information. I've been in Texas for 16 years and it was several years before that.........hell I'm surprised I remember doing it :). I'm sure it was 58 grains of MRP but rather than try that I would just start with anything on the left side of the page of your favorite reloading handbook. The people that print them have their butt covered with both hands so you can bet there are no loads TOO light just like there are no loads TOO hot.

Hornady handbook gives a low of 57.2 grains of RL-22 with 139 grain bullet and a velocity of 2700 out of a Remington 700 with a 24" barrel. That's about what I get with my 7x57.

I have been unable to locate my old information. I've been in Texas for 16 years and it was several years before that.........hell I'm surprised I remember doing it :). I'm sure it was 58 grains of MRP but rather than try that I would just start with anything on the left side of the page of your favorite reloading handbook. The people that print them have their butt covered with both hands so you can bet there are no loads TOO light just like there are no loads TOO hot.

Hornady handbook gives a low of 57.2 grains of RL-22 with 139 grain bullet and a velocity of 2700 out of a Remington 700 with a 24" barrel. That's about what I get with my 7x57.

Ill start there,Thanx for all the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.