Lever action 30/30

.44mag is petering out pretty quick from 50yds on.

The .444 Marlin and 45-70 eat it's lunch at any range.

The .450 Marlin almost approximates the .45-70 ballistically and marlin chambers it in the same JM stamped Marlins.

After they moved the factory there were some significant quality issues for a while. I'm not sure if the later production QC has improved any.

I beg to differ... :D The .44 Magnum and .500 S&W's ballistics are not that far apart...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oLXyrgU4T4[/ame]

I beg to differ... :D The .44 Magnum and .500 S&W's ballistics are not that far apart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oLXyrgU4T4
The hottest hunting load Corbon makes for the 44mag is the 230gr JHP. At the muzzle you're starting out with 1475fps/1160ftlbs.

Their 45-70 460gr HC load starts out at 1650fps/2780ftlbs, and the 350gr A Frame leaves the muzzle with 1800fps/2519ftlbs.

More than double the energy and hundreds of fps more velocity.

The 44mag isn't even in the same league as the 45-70.

https://www.corbon.com/Corbon-Hunter.html

Mind you, I have both calibers and shoot them both quite a bit, each has their place but if I'm shooting past 50yds at game I'll take the 45-70 all day, everyday.

The hottest hunting load Corbon makes for the 44mag is the 230gr JHP. At the muzzle you're starting out with 1475fps/1160ftlbs.

Their 45-70 460gr HC load starts out at 1650fps/2780ftlbs, and the 350gr A Frame leaves the muzzle with 1800fps/2519ftlbs.

More than double the energy and hundreds of fps more velocity.

The 44mag isn't even in the same league as the 45-70.

https://www.corbon.com/Corbon-Hunter.html

Mind you, I have both calibers and shoot them both quite a bit, each has their place but if I'm shooting past 50yds at game I'll take the 45-70 all day, everyday.
I have both as well. And my dad has a .444 Marlin. I was also being slightly sarcastic and satirical and humorous. :D

But I must say, the .44 Mag in a rifle using LeverEvolution (factory and hot-loaded handloads) they are still very potent.

The .444 is a good one,The 45/70 and the .450 marlin are preferred by most but I like a fast twist.444 . I am planning on looking at one next week and if it looks OK my money will be on the table. Bullet makers are catching up and now producing some decent controlled expansion hunting bullets for the .444 marlin too....imo.

Hey you might be better off with a good ole fashion thurty thurty!! A little Nostalgia trip...chances are the metal work will be better even if it's 50 years old +... Now you could really go nuts and get one in .32 special...can still see those old timers with their Woolriches and 30/30's at the sportsman's clubs back in the early 60's, priceless memories from by gone eras !!

An issue I have seen with Winchester rifles in .32 Special, 38-55 is that between corrosive primers and some being reloaded with BP, is that the ones I have seen have had bore issues, from minor pitting to serious erosion of the rifling and even in fair condition, Winchesters or Marlins of this vintage, many of which had custom features from the factory will demand a price equivalent to a brand new rifle.

I saw a 36 inch barreled 38-55 (yes, apparently you could order such a thing) with set trigger and the tang and butt mounting point for a Soule type sight...POR was proudly displayed in the glass case and apparently 5,000 USD cash offer, wouldn't even open the case for a fondle....Deep lustre blue finish, beautiful walnut, silver and gold inlays, Marbles Express ladder combo, beach style front sight...wish at the time that Cell phones with cameras had existed....the owner apparently passed a few years ago and his collection was pieced out and apparently a 1 of 1 thousand was part of the collection or more than one depending on who you asked.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.