Lever action 30/30

KSB209

Loooking for a recommendation on a new rifle. Always wanted a lever action but don't know anyone that really has one that isn't 50-100 years old. Who makes a good one these days? I don't need anything fancy just a rock solid gun. Will be using open sights so honestly I don't need a 1/4 MOA rifle but something accurate out the box would be nice. This is going to be used for playing around at the range and probably kept in the back of the truck.

Leaning towards a 30/30 but if there are other rounds and calibers to consider I am all ears. I just love the old cowboy guns and now I want one

Marlin or Henry big boys are hard to beat. Killed my first deer with a Marlin 30-30. If you are just going to plink and maybe do like deer size game out to 100 yards or so a 44 mag would be a good one also. If you want to put your big cowboy pants on go 45-70. :D Anything short of a tank will be in trouble. You can go from mild to wild with factory loads for the 45-70.

I like the 45-70 to but think it might get a little expensive shooting that big boy. If I was in bear country more I would deffinantly think about that round but firing 50+ rounds at the range my shoulder would probably be bruised for a month

If you will be shooting 50+ rounds at the range I would go with the 44 mag. You can also shoot 44 special cowboy loads in it and it will be much cheaper. 50+ rounds out of a light leaver action 30-30 win will also get your shoulders attention. :D Plus it will get deeper in your pocket. $15.00 to $19.00 is about the average for 20 rounds where I live. 50 rounds 44 cowboys around $35. You can get into reloading for the cost of a few hundred rounds.

I have a Marlin 336 30/30 that is a fine rifle for the price. Switched out the recoil pad with a Limbsaver and can shoot it all day. If you are going to be mostly plinking, I'd go with a pistol cartridge (.357, 44mag) as much cheaper to shoot. If going to be using more for hunting inside 200 yds, then I'd go 30/30.

Loooking for a recommendation on a new rifle. Always wanted a lever action but don't know anyone that really has one that isn't 50-100 years old. Who makes a good one these days? I don't need anything fancy just a rock solid gun. Will be using open sights so honestly I don't need a 1/4 MOA rifle but something accurate out the box would be nice. This is going to be used for playing around at the range and probably kept in the back of the truck.

Leaning towards a 30/30 but if there are other rounds and calibers to consider I am all ears. I just love the old cowboy guns and now I want one

You're missing out... You should get an old JM-Stamp Marlin 336 .30-30... They're much higher build quality than the newer Marlins.

Like was mentioned, if you're plinking or planning on shooting it a lot, a pistol caliber would be best, like the Marlin 1895 in .357 Mag or .44 Mag.

I'm a big fan of the traditionally styled lever actions and have owned too many to count over the years. My favorite continues to be the original spec Model 94 Winchester Carbine with a 20" barrel in 30-30. I still own and shoot mine that I have owned for many decades. There are few rifles that possess the looks, balance, reliability, and will nail a beer can off hand at 100 yards with boring consistency with its open buckhorn sights. There are millions of them in the market place in nice condition and of the earlier vintage that haven't been bastardized with the silly features so common with new lever rifles today like angle ejection, hammer block safeties, and crummy wood. The nice ones are out there at very reasonable prices if you seek them out. IMO.

Have a look at the Browning BLR, it offers options you don't see often on leverguns. You can get it in some big, flat shooting chamberings,you can get it as a takedown and has a detachable magazine.I use mine as my elk and sheep rifle and replaces a bolt action rifle for these purposes ( for medium range >400 yards)I have a 2×7 scout scope on mine.love it.Henry now makes a similar product and would like to try it.

Agree to the JM stamped Marlin, the old thurdy thurdy in my neck of the woods has accounted for more deer over the years than any other rifle caliber I know.

I agree a JM stamped Marlin in 30-30 to which you can easily add a scope or reflex sight should you want to, the Henry's are a nice rifle from all accounts.

If you want old classic then pre 1980 Winchester M94 or the Rossi 1892 for the lighter pistol class cartridges, reproduction Winchester 1873 can be found in 44-40 and 45 LC and there are the reproduction 1886 or the simplified model 71 the latter 2 are capable of being chambered in serious calibers as in bring on the Gbears/ Moose/ Elk at close to medium range.

After shooting Hot loaded Marlin 1895 CB in 45-70 with 300 partitions or 550 gr Crater bullets, the 170 or 150 gr bullet from a 30-30 is like shooting a 22.

You can get much better ballistics from the .308 and .338 Marlins in Marlin Lever guns.

If you shop around you can still find a JM stamped Marlin here and there and if you buy a Marlin, that's what you want.

Browning's BLR is a very well made lever action and it can be bought in .308 win and I think even in .30-06

I've owned Marlin's in 45-70 for decades, they are my go to for anything in the brush and big hogs when I am spot and stalk hunting.

Marlin or Henry big boys are hard to beat. Killed my first deer with a Marlin 30-30. If you are just going to plink and maybe do like deer size game out to 100 yards or so a 44 mag would be a good one also. If you want to put your big cowboy pants on go 45-70. :D Anything short of a tank will be in trouble. You can go from mild to wild with factory loads for the 45-70.
.44mag is petering out pretty quick from 50yds on.

The .444 Marlin and 45-70 eat it's lunch at any range.

The .450 Marlin almost approximates the .45-70 ballistically and marlin chambers it in the same JM stamped Marlins.

After they moved the factory there were some significant quality issues for a while. I'm not sure if the later production QC has improved any.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.