Leupold windplex for hunting ?

lacajun

VX3i with windplex reticle... would this be ok to hunt with beings it isnt illuminated particularly at dusk and dawn.

I just had some questions about the cds reticle. I was told they come with a card you fill out with your load information for a custom dial to match your load. Also would you say the thickness of the cross hairs is closer to duplex or heavy duplex.
thx

I've got the windplex in a VX-6. Mine has the firedot, but it is a fairly thick reticle. I think it would be fine in most situations without illumination. Its actually thick enough that I don't like it for precision load work up at 100 yards.

As far as the CDS, once you get your load sorted, you can go on the website and fill out their form with your ballistic info and your scope serial number. Was easy to do, but it took several months before I received it.

I have the fire dot on a slug shotgun, essential for night and extreme low light for varmints imo.

I have VX-5HD on a rifle with the duplex only. I had no problem seeing reticle 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset. I have not tried lower light yet.

Better glass and a bigger objective lessen the need for an illuminated reticle imho.

The more I am getting into dialing the turrets, the less important I think "graduations" are on a second focal plane reticle. Windplex is fine for most hunting I think. On a varmint gun, illuminated is a must.

I have a couple with wind plex. I really like them since I dial for elevation and hold for wind.

If you get the cds dial make sure you go shoot and get actual moa for distances, don't trust a ballistic program. Also realize they are only accurate if all conditions are the same, elevation, pressure and so on. They are great if you hunt the same place. Not so good if your not

I've got the windplex in a VX-6. Mine has the firedot, but it is a fairly thick reticle. I think it would be fine in most situations without illumination. Its actually thick enough that I don't like it for precision load work up at 100 yards.

As far as the CDS, once you get your load sorted, you can go on the website and fill out their form with your ballistic info and your scope serial number. Was easy to do, but it took several months before I received it.

That is what I was worried about because I like to shoot paper when it isn't hunting season. The thick crosshairs may cover up the bull out to 200 - 300 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.