Leupold vxIII

Caleb85

I have a 6.5-20x50mmLR..and if I turn it up to 20 all I have is mirage !! I hate this!! I try to use the side adjustment and it doesn't get much better. Is this common in high power scopes? Or do I just need to look into upgrading to an NightForce?

Yes and no! If you need 20X constantly...then get a scope that is ?X to 25X. Running optics at its absolute wont give you what you hope to get

Are you sure the problem is mirage and not a resolution or contrast problem? Mirage, or more accurately "turbulence-induced blur", is a ground effect and the conditions are usually obvious: mostly flat terrain between the muzzle and target, and sunshine or thin overcast skies. Confirm the problem is turbulence by looking up at something high off the ground, like the top of a telephone pole. If the image is much clearer and has high contrast, then the problem is turbulence.

In that case, I wouldn't upgrade because the same image blur will happen with any scope of the same objective size. Aside from reducing the magnification, things you can do to minimize mirage include raising the gun and target further off the ground, reducing the objective aperture, and wearing yellow shooting glasses. Reducing the objective size from 50 mm to 40 mm can be done by cutting a 40 mm round hole in a black card and taping it to the objective.

I had the same problem with the very same scope right out of the box. Mine would almost get blurry as if you were looking through a window that was covered in water. I read all the instructions tried all the adjustments nothing would work finally called leupold and chatted with one of their techs. After trying everything he said with no luck i sent it back and now its good as new. Repair ticket said something like adjusted parallex calibration if i remember correctly.

I would call Leupold ASAP and ask. I have had a few other scopes that were damaged during hunting and Leupold stepped up immediately to help out.

It was a week before the season, my partners scope was broke. He called Leupold and they stated they could not get it fixed and back in time (duh!?). However, that same day they put a loaner scope in the mail for him to use on his upcoming trip. When he returned two weeks later, fixed scope was at his house. No charge.

I have had mirage on my scopes after I get the barrel heated up or it's hot out. As far as the barrel mirage, I put a fan next to me and it blows any heat coming from barrel away. Mirage in your field of fire? Sorry.....no solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.