Leupold VX-3HD 1.5 - 5 Duplex CDS thoughts

Darryle

I've had this for a while, waiting on a large bore rifle to come around. That slipped thru my hands.

So, I have been thinking about a secondary use for the scope. I built a mid-range AR around the 64gr Nosler Bonded Solid Based bullets. 7 twist 3 groove 18" barrel that I originally mounted a Tract Turion 3 - 9 on, think now that the 1.5 - 5 is a better fit. I mounted the Tract because that is what I have on the 6.5 Grendel and wanted something that would make it easy for the kiddos to switch between.

Honestly, 250yds will be the maximum I use this rifle and then it will be does or cull bucks.

Thanks

I'd sell it and get something with real magnification. 250 yards is way out there. I have ar scopes turned up to 24 power for 200 yard paper because it's nice to see where the hole appeared on the paper.

I shot a safari grade 458 win mag with a 2-10 36mm on loan it got the Big five twice and my Dad was big on Cape Buffalo. My friend got a 9'6" Brown on our Alaska hunt.

I got to thinking I also had a 1-4 on a 223 that was gifted to me I carried for a long time. I never really felt power limited me. I also had a 2-7 Burris on a 450 marlin and shot at least 3 moose with it as far as 300 never really felt limited on that one either.

I pulled the wrap off and looked thru it at 5x, this thing is bright and the eye relief is above what I am used to with higher magnification optics. I am going to mount it this afternoon and figure out a day to get to the range.

The plus is, it will make a nice little close range pig gun, those little 64gr BSB Noslers haven't failed to stop a pig yet in the other rifle wearing a Primary Arms 1x prism.

Sorry Darryle I keep thinking about this. I think you're really going to like that power range. I have another 450 marlin that's got a fixed 6 leupold on it and it's not near as comfortable. The 2-7 is also a scout scope mounted forward I forgot to mention.
I think you should buy a blr in some pig dropping caliber😂😂
Just kidding enjoy what you got

I do mostly stands and feeders on leased land and night field hunting. Big 8-32 60mm on ar-10 in .308 win. My pig varmint round is the 125 Speer TNT at over 3000 fps.

I think you're barking up the right tree! I have a 1.5-5 Leo on my M4 and love it. People who shoot it are constantly amazed at how easy it is to hit with out to 1/4 mile.

Mine is sans CDS, would love to pull it and have Leupold install a CDS on it one of these days. That just makes things so easy as long as a fella is fairly monogamous with his bullet choice.

I think you're barking up the right tree! I have a 1.5-5 Leo on my M4 and love it. People who shoot it are constantly amazed at how easy it is to hit with out to 1/4 mile.

Mine is sans CDS, would love to pull it and have Leupold install a CDS on it one of these days. That just makes things so easy as long as a fella is fairly monogamous with his bullet choice.
Is it something the size of door at 440 yards?

Well, I mounted it this evening and I am impressed. I don't see any issue using this within the ranges I stated earlier in this thread. Heck, may even give it a try further out when I get a chance.

That Turion will be mounted on a lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor X-Bolt, should be a perfect fit there.