Leupold Vari X III 6.5-20x50

Knockturnal

Quick question. I have a line on the said scope above. Its 5-6 years old and doesnt have the turrets like the new ones. looks like this. the guy is asking 525 but im sure i could get it for 400 if i pryed enough. is it worth it? or should i get something with the target turrets? can i find aftermarket target turrets for it?? it has the fine duplex reticle as well.

scope_003.jpg

Last edited:
no one has any idea if this is a good deal or not?? im new to this game and would appreciate some input!

A couple of points to consider.

It appears to be a one inch tube. If that is true then it will have limited elevation adjustment. Perhaps 50 MOA is what it will have, I do not know for sure. With a magnum rifle you need 25 MOA with a VLD to get you to 1K. Depending on how flat your reciever and base is then you may need to either shim it up or get some Burris Signature rings with inserts.

A 30 mm tube will have a good bit more adjustment. You have to decide what rifle it is going to be on and how much adjustment you need.

If it is a one inch tube and has a coin slot then the Stoney Point will fit. The Stoney Points are not being made anymore so make your decisions in a hurry.

MidwayUSA - Stoney Point Target Knob Leupold Scopes (One Only)

So, here is the way I think about it.

It is used.
It is a 1 inch tube
It does not have target turrets and you need to buy something IF you can get them.
It does not have side focus but at least has AO
It has no sunshade. ( I was out today hunting with a scoped muzzle loader and the glare was really bad .)

If you do not expect to need to ever shoot past 1K and not often past 800 yards then it is worth $400. If you believe you will want to practice and get to shooting past 1K then it is only worth $250 to you because you will need to get rid of it when your skills improve. If I am wrong about the 1 inch tube then it is a better buy than I think.

What is it worth on the open market I do not know. It is a good quality scope. I have a couple.

Check the lenses real carefully for scratches and optical coating issues and in particular the eyepiece.

The scope is fine, just figure another $150 or so to send it to Leupold and have target turrets put on. So it's up to you what you want to spend and get for your money.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.