Leupold 6.5-20x50mm Vari-X III LRT upgrades?

At the expense of asking a stupid question, this model of scope referenced is a first or front focal plane (ffp) scope correct? If I understand correctly this means it can be used on any magnification without reticle distortion, correct?

Thanks,
lv2hunt

That should be a second focal plane model, which means the reticle's designed sub tensions will work at a specified power. Changing the power will change the distances between mildots in correlation to the target. So if you wanted to use the mildots as intended it needs to be on a certain magnification, or do as TikkaMike stated and turn the power to make the reticle MOA.
I have used several MOA and Mil combos- MOA turrets/mildot reticle, MOA/TMR, MOA/VarmintHunter, MOA/Duplex, MOA/MOA, Mil/Mildot, Mil/TMR, Mil/Horus, MOA/Horus…target turrets (short and tall, with and without covers), BDC turrets, M1/M2/M3/M5 turrets…1/10th MOA and Mil adjustments, 1/4 MOA, 1/2 MOA, and 1 MOA...FFP and SFP...whatever.
This is all personal preference. I say learn to use what you have and put that extra $100-$200+ into some ammo (if .338 Lapua you're gonna need it) and go shoot. Nothing wrong with the scope you have. But, it's your money so spend it how you see fit. Until we get the new XM2010's, all our issued scopes have MOA turrets of some sort with a mil reticle of sorts. The new rifles we are getting are supposed to have a FFP MIL/Horus reticle, we gotta use almost all the above.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone again for your help on this, I appreciate it. It's official I boxed it up and will send it out in the am to Leupold. My final decision on upgrades were TMR reticle ($159.00) with M1 knobs ($129.00).

Thanks,
lv2hunt

Hello,

Just wanted to give everyone an update that participated in this thread, it's the least I could do. I got the scope back from Leupold and couldn't be happier with the upgrades and customer service I received. I went with the upgrades listed above and also had them put on an M1 side focus knob for another $30.00 and a new threaded eye piece for my Alumina scope cap for an additional $25.00.

The services I received from Leupold were top notch, they have made a believer out of me and I am hard sell. It took them about three weeks for turnaround time including shipping.

As a side note I compared this scope with my Dad's similar Huskemaw at dawn and at twilight and the Leupold definitley has an edge over the Huskemaw on light gathering ability and clarity.

Thanks,
lv2hunt

If you are happy then I'm happy for you. Their customer service is pretty good. I know, I've had to use it several times in the past couple years. I just got back two MK4's that had performance issues. Just make sure you check everything out yourself, even though they probably sent you a statement giving it a clean bill of health. I got one back from them they said was ok and it's adjustments were 10% off!
You basically turned it into a MK4 clone, nothing wrong with that if that's what you wanted. Like I said, it's your money and you're the one using it. I mean good grief, I've seen 4x4 trucks with ground effects on them!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.