leupold scope with a varmint reticle,

jkdone

hey guys has anyone bought one of these scopes yet. i am thinking of one for my 243 wssm for coyote

Funny u happen to mention it, but that's exactly what i have now-- a 243 WSSM with the 4.5-14X Leupold VX-III/VH reticle/target elevation turret. BUT, mine's a Savage Striker for coyotes (mostly). Here's a link to a recent discussion we had regarding it--

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=78798&an=0&page=7#78798
There's another discussion we had about it here somewhere-- but i can't find it now-- maybe somebody else can-- i think Pete Lincoln put a real good pic of it in that discussion too.

I like the reticle-- especially since windage can be referenced more directly than most ballistic reticles---BUT here's the 1 i like the best-- www.rapidreticle.com Check out their RR 600 and 800 series reticles. I have a 3-9X 32mm 22 LR reticle i'm putting on a 20 BR XP-100 i'm having built up now for fur season.

Thanks guys my next question then is should i go with premier reticles for this kind of setup

There's no question he's got some great reticles that can be tailor-made to your load, but the VH reticle (with target elevation turret installed) will give u what u need too, if u spend some time studying tactical reticle applications. When zeroing that reticle i also develop an interpolative system between the line stadia to reference holdover in even 25 yd. intervals, which helps a lot when the target lasers somewhere between the stadia zeros. A big fast twist 24 (like the WSSM) will get u out farther than that reticle's capabilities which is why i suggested the turret addition.

Here's a pic of my intermediate range Striker 243 WSSM/Leupold. This was taken at our long-range handgun sminar we put on out here in CO last May. I was checking the reticle/trajectory with the 100 gr. Speer BTSP, and i wasn't very happy, 'cause the trajectory wasn't matching the reticle-- UNTIL i recalculated with the BC corrected to .35--

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.