Leupold RX-2800 TBR/W Rangefinder

MOOSE39465

Good evening everyone,

I'm in the process of simplifying my ranging abilities while hunting in Box Stands here in South Mississippi. You only have a limited amount of time to range the animal and get a shot off before he gets in the thick woods. My question is has anyone used the preinstalled groups offered to get an accurate solutions out to 700 yards? I done some ballistic calculations and my load is very close to landing in the middle of group 10.

I was just jazzed this 2800 ranges coyotes to 1150yds in the sunny snow covered ground conditions! LOL
I hear good things about the ranging capabilities, but the tools inside could be improved from what I am reading. Hopefully I can find use in it without dropping a ton of money on a Revic or something like that. If I was going to engage animals at longer distances it would be different.

I hate to sound too old fashioned here but if you have reliable ranging and a range card you can enter your dope in the scope in seconds or if you have a reticle that allows for it simply use the right holdover and windage markers and go for it.

My last couple of Leupod Range finders have been very good quality, the only knock I have is that the smaller units are difficult for me to get a good steady hold making accurate ranging difficult at some times.

Always shoot it two or three times and take an average works best for me.

I purchased one a few years back, sent it back when I found out I had to select from their pre installed formulas, purchased a gunwerks br2500, will probably move to the revic after they've been around a couple of years

I used a leica 1600 with that feature back in the day. It was fairly close to 600-700. It would seem to me that hunting out of stand is a about as minimal as it gets for shoot to solutions. Meaning that most everything is going to be the same day to day with the exception of temperature. Personally I do a large laminated chart based off your ballistic app and hang it in the blind vs using their chart.

For steady ranging I'd get a mount for a tripod or something similar so the LRF is solid. Makes for 1x ranging not multiple. My sig 2400 came with a bracket and if yours doesn't have a screw mount I think you can get a bracket.

I have one and have it used it for three seasons now. I like mine just fine. It's is accurate as long as your load falls with in the reference chart. I use mine for angled shooting. It ranges quickly and I've never had an issue. I also hunt and live in the west where longer shots present often. If I don't have the time to range it and get a good rest then I don't shoot.

I have one and have used it for three years now. It's worked great for me and I like it. It's quick to range and I have found the data to be correct for my ballistics. I use of for angle shooting, typically across canyons at steeper angles. If I was shooting flat across a good range card works just as fine. I live in Idaho and hunt game at longer distances. If I don't have the time to range, get a good shooting platform and shoot I pass up the opportunity. I have rarely encountered that situation.

Yeah buddy. I learned this the hard way only zapping once at long range. Sometimes the pressure of pressing the button dips the reticle.
I carry a light extendable monopod or use a tree lean to steady the RF during ranging. Greatly helps accurate, consistent numbers. My biggest gripe is the "basketball...range for effect" size ranging dots on most RFs.....Sig specifically. I find that using Todd Hodnett's First Accuracy reflective ranging plates to truly understand where your RF is pointing is the best way to increase ranging accuracy/consistency.