Leupold or Minox? 40mm or 50 mm Obj?

justinp61

I have a new Savage model 12 FVSS in 22-250 and need some advise on scopes. I will be shooting ground hogs, occasional coyotes and some 400 yard steel with my buddies just for fun.

I like the Leupold 6.5-20 X 40 or 50 with the varmint hunters reticle. Also the Minox ZA-5 4-20X50 SF with the XR-BDC reticle looks good. The Leupold is a 30mm tube and the Minox is a 1". Is there a significant advantage to the 30mm tube?

Will I have to add a cheek piece to my stock if I go with the 50mm? How do the Minox lenses compare to the Leupold?

Opinions, experiences, ideas?

Thanks

I can't tell you about the Minox, i've never owned one or been around one. But I can tell you about Leupold, I have eight of them in the house right now, ranging from a 1.5-5 on a .375 Ruger to a 8.5-25x50 MK4 on my 338RUM. I also have a 8.5-25x50 with varmint hunter's reticle on my 6-284, the reticle is great for wind holds, other than that I always dial elevation, I have used it to 500 w/holdover but nothing serious, just not precise enough for me. Leupold has the "Model" standard of customer service, people who go out of their way to make sure you get the best service possible.

The 30mm tube will yield more adjustment for those longer shots, the 50mm objective is best for light transmission in low light situations. I do have a 6.5-20x40 on my "go to" hunting rig, it works fine, but you can tell the difference. Depending on your stock you may or may not require a cheek piece, I can't say right now.

Here is a pic of the Varmint Hunters reticle on my Leupy @ 550yds, dong is ~18" I think...

Attachments

• 550yds.jpg
    550yds.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 113
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.