Leupold Mark 8

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Spinnerbaitslinger, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Spinnerbaitslinger

Spinnerbaitslinger Active Member

Hey all,

Was just browsing the Leupold website and came upon the new Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25x56. Seems like a pretty awesome scope. I was wondering how it compares to USO or S&B scopes since they are all around the same price.

Here's the link:

Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm M5B2 Front Focal ยท Leupold

2. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

I would like to see this in a MOA version!

3. marinetowgunner

marinetowgunner Well-Known Member

If I had to throw a ranking out there, would look something like this:

1- sb/kahles/steiner
    2- NF/USO/Leupold Mk8
    3- PST/MK4

4. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

I wont venture any sort of guess lineup because scopes of that price range are far beyond whatever I WILL spend...but for the $$ that is listed at Id have to pass and buy a SB or a Zeiss first. Not to say the Leupold isnt a great scope...but in that price range I would NOT rank it top of the heap

5. Spinnerbaitslinger

6. green 788

green 788 Well-Known Member

probably a wet blanket here but I'd be leery of any optic coming out of Europe right now... checking the world economic situation, as well as the forecast... it doesn't look good.

Fast service is worth a lot of peace of mind...

I'd stick with Leupold... we know they'll be around at least as long as America is. :eek:

Dan

7. marinetowgunner

If you look closely at what is going on in the optics industry, you would notice that a lot of companies are building multi-million dollar manufacturing facilities here in the US. Look at Steiner/Burris, Swarovski, Meopta, and Schmidt Bender. All these guys have manufacturing facilities here in the States.

I wouldn't worry about buying from a European owned manufacturer. Chances are that Eurpoean optic is assembled here in the US anyway. ie Steiner Military, Zeiss conquest (made by meopta), Swaro Z3's.

Not trying to sway your opinion, just making sure the facts are out there for others to form theirs.

8. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

You will not see that anytime in the near future. This line of scopes was developed to compete in the army contract for a new day time sniper optic and the dmr optic programs. All indications point to AWSOME from the guys I have talked to who can afford one(Leopold MIL/LE program still puts it out of my price range).

The real hot item now seams to me the Bushnell HDMR line. It is getting a lot of operation use and it cost a lot less.

9. Spinnerbaitslinger

So who does have the military contract right now?

10. marinetowgunner

Schmidt and Leupold have US military contracts as well as Nightforce. I'm sure others do as well. That's just what I've personally seen.