Leupold Mark 4 M3 ?

I own three of the MK4-M3 scopes, and it is true that they have a taper built in.

Standard "0" taper bases are required for the MK4-M3. or you may not be able to zero it at 100/200yds.

I asked Leupold about this:
There are rumors out there that Mk4 M3 scopes require biased/specific bases. Is this true?
Are Mk4 M3 scopes different in some manner from any of the other Mk4 scopes?

The reply:
The Mark 4 M3 scopes are just like the other mark 4 scopes as far as application is concerned. The only difference is that the elevation adjustment moves point of impact one full MOA per click.
John Snodgrass
Leupold and Stevens
Sales Service Representative
[email protected]

So I am still confused about this 'built in taper'...

Mikecr,lets put it this way. Forget about the taper in the scope and look at it this way, the Mark4 M3 with let say it has 50 moa total travel in the elevation turent, then for each click you go up is 1moa. The Mark4 M1 has 1/4 moa for each click.So if you want to go up 2" with the Mark4 M1 it take 8 clicks, where the Mark4 M3 it take only 2 clicks.This way in a shoot condision (say you have to shoot fast) you only have to move 2 clicks and not 8 click.That and with out looking it is easer to turn 2 clicks than 8 clicks for the same amount.Hope this helps some. Tim

Again(and still) my question...What built-in taper?

I've never heard of this, and Leupold says it's not true.

Thats what I'm questioning.

Last edited:
I have 3 ultra mark 4's. On the m3 I use a 20 minute tapered base and can zero at 100. I also had leuplod custom shop make make a custom bdc dial with my load at my elevation. It's scarry accurate. it's on my 308 and goes out to 1300 plus yards. Great combo and very fast

I read the first post of this thread from however many years ago and then yours and thoughts "What the world are these guys talking about?".
Leupold has no taper built into their scopes. Some may have a canted reticle (which isn't good).
There turrets go like this:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 131
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.