Leupold B&C, Varmint, and Zeiss Rapid-Z

tpbscha

What are your thoughts on these reticles for a hunting scope for shots inside 700 yards? Particularly a VXIII 4.5-14x50 and Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50. Rifle is a custom 338RUM. $700 is about my limit. I have a 200, 600, and 1K yard range where I shoot quite often. Thx!

I used a Leupold 6.5x20 with the varmint reticle on my custom 7STW. I sighted the crosshairs in @ 200yds. Then I moved over to the 500 yd range and shot using the appropriate crosswire for that range. I had to adjust the magnification ring slightly to get the bullet impacts to fall exactly where I wanted them but it was pretty easy.

Two weeks later I spotted a whitetail that was walking across a dirt trail and stopped just long enough for me to get a laser reading. The deer was at 469 yds. and continued to walk across. I was able to steady my rifle and squeeze off a shot before the deer vanished into the brush. Point of impact was on the money and just in a nic of time.

Sometimes dialing up may cost you a shot opportunity. I like the multi wire reticles for some types of shooting. They are fasssst.

Zeiss has a Rapid Z 800 reticle that will take you out to 800 yds. They have a ballistic calculator on their web site which will show you where the magnification ring should be for various bullets and muzzle velocities. Obviously, this set-up can not account for changes in temperature, altitude, barametric pressure, etc.

Just get an exbal program and chrono. No dialing up just input your data into exbal and run the hashmark portion to get the exact range and an exact power.

simple white card with pic of the crosshair setup with x power at top and yards for each hashmark on crosshair. flip over and do another power with ranges and laminate.

you can make as many cards for elevation and temp variations as you like and just take the ones with you that you need. Works great to the exact limits of your particular setup as defined by exbal.

BH

I have the B & C 4.5-14X on my Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. I have shot it out to 600 yards and all of the hash marks are on the money. I am working on drop charts to use at 600+ using the 500 hash because, for me, the top of the duplex which is used for 600 is not a very defined aming point. Very quick and easy to use. Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.