leica HD-B Rangefinder/Bino

I just ran two charts on my Barnes bullet. BC of .47 out to 1000 yards one using G1 the other using G7 with all data entry the same. there is 90 inches difference in drop according to the 2 charts. is that even possible !! According to the charts I ran using my bullistics app , the Leica data is for sure still using G1 drag calculation. The chart on the Leica site was within 1/2 inch of drop at 1000yds as my G1 chart from another source. If there is 90 inches diff at 1000 yds using g7 drag vs G1 drag then the Leica needs to be able to choose but it is my understanding it only uses g1.
I am using the 169gr Barnes tipped triple shock (300wsm)which recommends using G7 for ballistics calculations.
Nothing is standard issue in this world anymore!!!

I just ran two charts on my Barnes bullet. BC of .47 out to 1000 yards one using G1 the other using G7 with all data entry the same. there is 90 inches difference in drop according to the 2 charts. is that even possible !! According to the charts I ran using my bullistics app , the Leica data is for sure still using G1 drag calculation. The chart on the Leica site was within 1/2 inch of drop at 1000yds as my G1 chart from another source. If there is 90 inches diff at 1000 yds using g7 drag vs G1 drag then the Leica needs to be able to choose but it is my understanding it only uses g1.
I am using the 169gr Barnes tipped triple shock (300wsm)which recommends using G7 for ballistics calculations.
Nothing is standard issue in this world anymore!!!

simple answer is no that is not possible but the reason is likely due to the fact you used .47 for the G7 and there are no bullets made that have a G7 of .47
plug in the actual G7 number and rerun should work out closer

Thanks venatic!!
Yes that makes sence now. The Barnes website publishes the BC at .47 and yet the bullet design would indicate tat the G7 would be more accurate. How would I find the BC based on G7 ? It is confusing that the Leica ballestics chart has the heading of G7 but uses only G1 on the data. seems like you should be able to choose the (drag) calculation of G1 or G7 just like any other variations.
I am really interested in these Leica Bino's but willing to wait if there is any glithches.
I will not take a shot just to see where the first one hits. I cuttently use a cheat sheeet with all my data and am very confident out to 800 yds. One shot kill at 680 last year using my old leica's and a chart showing my clicks out to 1000yds at 4 elevetion levels. These bimos look like the ticket if the software inside the things work.
Thanks for all the help. I am new in the long range shooting and want to be responsible with it.

Just ran the actual g7 BC (.222) using litz chart and now am am only seeing bout 6 inches of drop difference at 1000 yds vs the g1 calculation. Does that sound more like reality?
Thats very little difference and I could actually tweek the G1 number until it matched the g7 chart and enter the slightly adjusted G1 BC number into the Binoculars chip. when entering the data.
Am I thinking clearly here?
I think I am talking myself into moving forward with the Leica's

if your 6" off at 1000 yards I would see where you are at at say 500, 800 and 1000 then use the ballistic calibration offered by applied ballistics. you enter your actual shooting data that you see. at those distances based on what your chrono says, your BC says, your scope height says, most imporatantly what your Density altitude says. shoot groups at all those distances then enter your observed deviation. then hit calibrate. for me it added 20fps to my bullet speed. That calibrated amount is what you need to put on your sim card into the leica.

Great advise
So I am then doing a field validating but rather than tweaking the fps on the chart to match up the actual field test rather than tweaking the BC
So it sounds like as long as I am willing to do field validation the fact that the Leica internal data uses G1 and not g7 should not matter as long as I am entering my data on the custom chip. ?? Sorry but I am still learning.

just get the applied ballistics smart phone app. you really need it anyways. Then you need a kestrel or I use a wind mate. it gives me density altitude. I prefer using that because its one input instead of several. Then dial what the apps says you should dial based on all the conditions you enter manually. shoot a group at 500, then 800, then 1000, adjust your density altitude for each shot because it can change slightly. then go see if your high, low at each range. last time I did it I was high. in applied ballistics in the ballistic calibration you simply enter in what you observed for me I was about 6" high at 1000 yards, I was slightly high at the other ranges. so I entered in how much at each range, then hit calibrate. boom my load is calibrated. in my case it added 20fps to my load. well within chronograph error. end result is next time out I pulled out applied ballistics it happened to hit a local weatherstation, dead coyote at 991 yards, one shot one kill. all because of the ballistic calibration in applied ballisitics.

Thanks cc
I will order one right away and will purchase the app you suggested on my IPhone right away.
Do you use the Leica hs-b ?

Thanks cc
I will order one right away and will purchase the app you suggested on my IPhone right away.
Do you use the Leica hs-b ?

no for me the new leicas don't seem to fit me well. I had been a long time geovid user. but these new ones have more green tint than the previous model and I have a tuff time getting the barrels set right to get a nice round view. The edges are also fuzzier on the new units. I honestly wish I could like them. so I use the swaro el range and I know what changes in DA do to my load in my head. its not as fast but it works. I am hoping leica upgrades the 1600 b to the geovid specs.

Thats interesting. I am thinking to wait one more year. My current system is not as elaborate with my lamanated cheat cards taped to my HS precision stock but i know that they are accurate and have confidence in them. I am more intersted in not having to carry my range finder. Actually I was originally looking at the swarovski combo and just continue to use my current system but not have to pull out a seperate rangefinder and then this Leica with the ability to customize your own chip cought my eye as I would never trust a generic drop program.
Thanks for your help and input. If anyone else has any thoughts on the new leica hd-b please chime in if you have actual experience with them.
I have learned alot from all you guys that have been willing to share information.
I just got all set up for doing my own loading 2 years ago and got incredible advise and literally (killer) results on a long distance elk shot.
Thanks CC to you and to all the rest that have helped in my success and underrstanding of this long distance and accuracy journey! It is so reawarding to take that one shot thats is a great and humane shot after all the prep and practice and see em crummple!!
Ray

sent leica an email yesterday about all the stupid downfalls with the hd-b

No scope height adjustment
No G7 standard
Only reading drop corrections in MOA

asked if there would ever be a software update to correct this or if its even a concern to them. I will post up when i get a response

You are correct on two accounts. You can however have a the hd-b's displayed in a click value corresponding to your scope value. I set mine in 1/4 min value for my atacr. So far its matched perfectly with my shooters program and trajectory validation. When I shoot past 1000 yards I use my shooters app anyway while correcting in moa.I hope they will change the program. I however do love them as great tool in long range shooting/ hunting.

Corey

Thanks guys.
On my charts that I use I currently have it converted to clicks in 50 yd increments out to 1000 yds and also 5 elevations starting at 5000 ft above sea level. Actually I used the ballistics calculated on this site to make my cheat sheet so maybe the current Leica system would be fine since that's what I am used to. It's actually very quick. I simply use the actual distance on my Leica 1200 , check the elevation I am hunting at and see how many clicks my chart calls for and dial in my Swarovski accordingly. My main concern is the g1 vs the g7 capability as I have always used the g7 option on the input data when preparing a cheat sheet for my gun. The small cheat card on my stock is way quicker for me than digging out my phone and entering all the data.
Last year was quick. Got my range, new I was at 7000 ft, glanced at the card taped to my stock, dialed 42 clicks and had a 1 shot kill.
I am anxious to find out what Leica says about the g7 issue. The moa issue is fine with me however it makes sense that you should be able to choose.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts