Leica 2800.COM Initial Hands On Review

catorres1

Back in the early fall, I was asked by Leica to test and provide feedback on a new their new rangefinder, the 2800.COM, that was announced today at SHOT. As I understand it, mine was one of the first 5 built and brought into the US, so was not a pre-production, but earlier still in the process, more like a prototype. I ran it under many conditions for about 3 months, testing it side by side with other RF's, and wanted to provide some insight into what Leica is bringing to market.

It's important to note that my unit was literally at the very front end of development and part of my role was to find problems and make suggestions for engineering to resolve/consider. So what comes to market will probably be a little different than what I have had for the past months, but the features and performance I'll cover below should be uneffected. Overall, this is an impressive and competitive piece of kit they are bringing to market, and I can't wait to see the production model.

What's new

The 2800 shares most core features with the 2700b. Ranging and glass are the same, which is to say, excellent. Rather than rehash that data, check out my review on the 2700b. I tested both side by side, and they are the same, although my 2800 outranged my 2700 slightly, but I think it was just unit to unit variation. It is a tiny bit larger than a 2700, but it still fits the same tripod mounts etc.

The 2800, on the right, is slightly larger than the 2700, but not so much that accessories are not interchangeable.

The 2800 also retains all the environmental instruments and ballistic computing capabilities onboard, just like the 2700b, so it's every bit the stand alone device the 2700 is. The changes are all about the 'com'….communication. Where Leica made significant changes is by adding Bluetooth connectivity with two-way communication, bringing new for Leica capabilities to the table, most significantly, in the ability to connect to a Kestrel wirelessly.

So, starting with the basics, there is now an app that allows you to connect the 2800 to your phone. Through this app, you can make firmware upgrades to the RF (opens the door to easy future upgrades and improvements), as well as create and store curves for various loads. Gone is the card slot that the 2700 used for storing a curve, as you can now build and store various curves in the app and upload the one you want to run at any given time onto the RF via phone. This also negates the need for using Leica's curve builder on the web. That capability is now in the app. Useability wise, it's a big improvement over the 2700.

The 2800, on the right, lacks the SD card slot that is present on the 2700, as it is no longer needed.

Once you have uploaded your curve, the 2800 operates just like the 2700, as the 2800 retains all the environmental instrumentation that the 2700 had. So temp, pressure, and angle are all considered to give you a solution out to 1000 yards. So as a standalone RF, it gives up nothing to the 2700b, but adds app connectivity, firmware upgrades, and a better way to build, store, and upload custom curves to your RF.

While the aforementioned changes are great and most welcome, the biggest capability improvement comes via its connectivity to a Kestrel. When in this mode, the RF will send range, angle and compass heading to your connected Kestrel. Yes, they added a compass to the 2800 so that DOF is automatically populated to the Kestrel. The Kestrel computes the solution, based on the curve selected in the Kestrel, and returns that full solution which displays in the 2800. The solution includes elevation adjustment as well as wind holds, including both the constant and gust holds that the Kestrel calculates if you have it set that way. And for those that like to shoot long, when sourcing the solution from the Kestrel, it will display your solution to as far as you can range on the 2800.

So the workflow here is pretty straightforward. For use without a Kestrel, just build your curve in the app, load it on the RF and run it like a 2700. All enviromentals are onboard just like on the 2700, so you are good to go to 1k.

Like the 2700, the 2800 easily ranged off this plate at 1120 yards, and was able to range a 12" white plate at over 1500 yards.

For use with a Kestrel, power up your Kestrel and leave it running. If you keep it in a pouch away from your body heat (like in a chest rig or whatever) temp drift due to sun or handling should not be a problem. And if you come from a hot truck to the cold, the Kestrel can quickly be cleared, then left running in the pouch so temp is always correctly updated. When you find your target, range it. The Kestrel's solution will come up in your RF, and you are ready to shoot.

For many shooters, you won't even need to handle the Kestrel once it is turned on, as DOF is set based on the RF compass reading, so Coriolis etc. will be correctly calculated without having to manually set DOF on the Kestrel. Of course, wind will need to be dealt with, but different shooters have different methods for wind estimation. Obviously If you want to take a wind reading, you'll need to pull the Kestrel out. But some shooters just manually set a 5 mph full value and a 10 mph full value gust in the Kestrel, and then adjust the displayed hold accordingly when shooting.

Summary

Overall, the 2800.COM is a significant upgrade to the 2700b and looks like a winner. The workflow is faster due to the 2800's connectivity , but it retains the 2700's performance in terms of ranging and optics, while taking nothing away from the shooter in terms of features. With the 2800's additional capabilities, Leica can now offer a fast and efficient workflow to those shooters who regularly shoot long, and in pairing with AB, they are leveraging a partnership with a trusted industry leader in ballistic solutions.

If I can get one of the production units, it would be very interesting indeed to compare performance, capabilities, and workflow to similarly connected devices like the 2400 BDX and the Vectronix X. On paper, they all have their areas of particular note, and I'd love to wring them out side by side to see what each one uniquely brings to the table. I've been running a long term test on the 2400BDX and it's impressive (part 1 of the review will be up in a few days), and I've heard great things about the Vec X, so hopefully a comparison will happen later this year. But for sure, it's a good time to be in the RF market, competition is spurring manufacturers to really up their game in terms of what they offer, and we consumers are reaping the benefits. MSRP for the 2800.COM is $1099, and its scheduled to start shipping this week.

Thanks for review.Hoping a little more stand alone on solution like sig.Dropped my terrapin a year ago and been using old 1200 leica.I need a better RF this season,trying to carry less.Cost more for repair than the new stuff out

Yeah, there are upsides and downsides to the all in one, in some people's estimation. But at the moment, we have the 2800.COM, the 2400BDX (got a review in process on that one), the 3000BDX, and the 2400 ABS. All in some way utilize AB....the BDX devices just released Foretrex connectivity, so that ads another option that is very efficient. I hope Leica does the same. The ABS is the most 'complete' in some sense (although the 3000 BDX is probaby just as 'complete', it just replaces different devices). Some would say the ABS is the best overall, others want a different temp and wind solution, as well as a different upgrade path.

Either way, we have never had options like this that I can remember. In the past year, the market has expanded to give long range shooters fast and viable options for making those shots more quickly, efficiently and just as accurately as in the past, but with a much streamlined workflow. Gotta love competition!

Thanks for review catorres...was getting ready to purchase a 2700,, will definitely be holding out for this new model!!!

Thanks for review catorres...was getting ready to purchase a 2700,, will definitely be holding out for this new model!!!
Glad it was timely! I have the 2700 and i terms of features, there is nothing to lose but you do gain a lot with the 2800. I am looking forward to playing with a production unit to see how it finished out.

For a quick solution hunting,and how do they compare ranging? Also just fun practice as I have 338 NM.Which would you pick 2800 or sig 2400.I would like solutions in the 1000-1500 range.How far does sig figure solution,guess it is 1000 for the 2800.

Last edited:
For a quick solution hunting,and how do they compare ranging? Also just fun practice as I have 338 NM.Which would you pick 2800 or sig 2400.I would like solutions in the 1000-1500 range.How far does sig figure solution,guess it is 1000 for the 2800.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses, as well as price points. Just pure ranging, I'd probably pick the Leica for most, but not all things (reflective targets, for example). But Sig seems to have the connectivity and speed tech worked out a little better than Leica.

If you are using a solution without a Kestrel, they are both limited. The Leica will do 1k standalone, the 2400 will do 800. Neither of them consider coriolis etc, so when you are really stretching it, you probably want a more robust ballistic solution that will consider all the forces anyway. I have been consistently impressed by AB Elite off my Kestrel....solutions very accurate past 1400, and only a tiny bit off past 1500.

Standalone, they are equally quick from sleep, but the Sig re-range speed is much faster. The Leica has superior glass, and is generally more precise in terms of it's reticle to sensor relationship, so I find it easier to get it on target. In terms of power, they are fairly close, though I'd give it to the Leica, maybe just because of how precise the alignment is. It also has a smaller divergence, so less likely to get false positives.

One thing to note, when connecting to a Kestrel from sleep...the Sig is MUCH faster than the Leica. Sig's actuation to range time is about 2 seconds. The Leica takes more like 15 seconds to wake up and re-establish the connection.

Are you planning on using a Kestrel with either of them?

I was hoping the technology would get there a bit quicker,so I could have a stand alone.In the past I had a good RF in the Terrapin,and I used drop card that I spent much time on.Did alot of angle rock cracking to as its steep most places I hunt,unless on praire.I thought the sig was stand alone farther than 800?Disappointed that Im out on the broken terrapin and Im down to my old leica 1200.I want to buy one last set up and would like it to be stand alone,the G7 is correct?I thought the 2400 ABS,figured farther.Im a Leica fan,have had good luck.Seems like I would like a 2800 with sig internals.At LR ONLY seems like many using sig.I front carry 20 oz.10x30 els,so I favor a small light RF,Ialso bow hunt a lot,and only carry RF sometimes.I carried the Terrapin on many hunts,but was large than I liked but accepted it because it ranged so well,couldnt believe reading I got in rain to it was something

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought you were asking about the 2400 BDX! 2400 ABS goes all the way... full AB elite onboard just like a Kestrel 5700, but no connectivity to a Kestrel (you don't need it anyway) or BDX devices. The solution goes as far as the RF will range, it considers all forces...just like a Kestrel. Ranging power will be the same as the 2400 BDX, as will divergence. It is a fine piece of kit!

Sorry for the confusion!

I have a friend that has the Sig,may have to play with.If the binos like you got weighted less I would maybe go that route,but I hunt alot of grizz area and front carry rifle for many years now as well as bino,dont like all that weight on my neck.In reality the 1000 yrd Lieca solution would probably cover 99 %

Man and I just bought the hdb3000 this year. Would be real nice if they connected those. Although I'm so bad with tech I'm not sure I'd figure it out so I run AB app on my phone and add inputs.

I just bought the 2800.com. Any updates since you reviewed before?

it appears after uploading a custom load with all the appropriate ballistics data, the hold over solution is displayed in the 2800. I haven't verified by shooting yet but it appears very close with IStrelok.

Nothing really new to report on the 2800. As a stand alone CRF, I think it is probably th best out there at the moment. I do wish the connection speed with the Kestrel was more consistent and stable. It sometimes takes a while and drops, but otherwise, it is a really solid RF, especially in stand alone use. The fact that it sends DOF when using the Kestrel really makes it an efficient package.

I can't seem to find this in the manual, can anyone confirm that the 2800 stores only one rifle in memory at a time for hold adjustments to be displayed in the RF?

To clarify, this is not using a Kestrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts