Lefties, get in this thread

The Oregonian

How many folks have run into the issue of a scope power throw lever hitting the bolt?

I am left eye dominant but right handed, and shoot pool, bows, and guns lefty. I have a handful of rifles, some LH and some RH. Have had Brownings in the past, have a few MOA Rifles LH and RH on their proprietary action, a Borden LH, and got a Defiance Deviant Hunter LH that is now giving me a problem.

I have all NF scopes, 3 ATACR 4-16 and an ATACR 5-25. When I use the little screw in lever that NF provides it hits the bolt handle on one extreme, I forget which. But being a whitetail woods hunter I can't give up full use. Without the lever it is more difficult to turn (meaning more time consuming), which I don't like either. Sometimes you don't have much time in the field.

The aftermarket power levers that are 3D printed don't work well, and neither does a similar tool that NF used to make and cell…they slip some here and there. I called NF and they don't have anything else to recommend other than wrapping tape around the power ring so that the 3D printed one will work. That's the inexpensive way out but the thought of a $2k+ scope needs that needs a garage solution is kind of ludicrous IMO.

I'm going to use the scope for a while without the lever and see how I feel about it after getting used to it, but I may but a different scope if that doesn't work.

Curious to know if others have encountered this much.

How many folks have run into the issue of a scope power throw lever hitting the bolt?

I am left eye dominant but right handed, and shoot pool, bows, and guns lefty. I have a handful of rifles, some LH and some RH. Have had Brownings in the past, have a few MOA Rifles LH and RH on their proprietary action, a Borden LH, and got a Defiance Deviant Hunter LH that is now giving me a problem.

I have all NF scopes, 3 ATACR 4-16 and an ATACR 5-25. When I use the little screw in lever that NF provides it hits the bolt handle on one extreme, I forget which. But being a whitetail woods hunter I can't give up full use. Without the lever it is more difficult to turn (meaning more time consuming), which I don't like either. Sometimes you don't have much time in the field.

The aftermarket power levers that are 3D printed don't work well, and neither does a similar tool that NF used to make and cell…they slip some here and there. I called NF and they don't have anything else to recommend other than wrapping tape around the power ring so that the 3D printed one will work. That's the inexpensive way out but the thought of a $2k+ scope needs that needs a garage solution is kind of ludicrous IMO.

I'm going to use the scope for a while without the lever and see how I feel about it after getting used to it, but I may but a different scope if that doesn't work.

Curious to know if others have encountered this much.
Why not make your own out of a piece of aluminum round coil stock ? Threading just one end to scope threads. Or a small block n thread block to use a piece of all thread to attach to scope. I believe then you can make it as long as you like. I have the dominance issue also. Or I should say benefit. I learned to do things with either hand.

I ended up going to swarovski x5 series and have no issues with the clamp on power throw. I don't recall but may have them on reversed. I have the ocular flip open cap on upside down on the x5's to keep it from hitting since they flip open sideways vs up and down. Both scopes are mounted on custom hunting rigs (LH) with Borden actions.

Wow…..my mind immediately went to politics! 🤔 I just mentioned this to my wife…..she had the same thought! 😂 memtb

Why not make your own out of a piece of aluminum round coil stock ? Threading just one end to scope threads. Or a small block n thread block to use a piece of all thread to attach to scope. I believe then you can make it as long as you like. I have the dominance issue also. Or I should say benefit. I learned to do things with either hand.
I was going down a similar path in reverse…could the lever I have be ground down just enough to not hit the bolt handle. There's a part of me that wants to scratch the itch on a ZCO but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $4k on a scope.