Left, Right, curse this windage thing! HELP???

Wow, that is impressive! I guess Palma bullets don't quite have the BC or velocity that I'm shooting, but even 30 mph and hitting close is hard to do. When you think about what you are doing, holding 24 FEET high and 24 FEET left and still hitting within a foot of center, it is a fantastic shot! Was at the range a while back and was collecting data for a turret , only a 2 minute wind hold at 1125 yards. There was a group of hunters next to us sighting in at 200 yards and they asked if they could shoot at our target. we watched the bare hillside for a hit or miss but didn't see anything. We asked how much they were holding over the target and they said at least 3 feet! No wonder we couldn't see the hits! We told them we were dialing almost 30 feet and the couldn't believe it. You have to go with the numbers, get good charts, input good data and trust your equipment. It can be frustrating but practice and experience will pay off!

Wow, that is impressive! I guess Palma bullets don't quite have the BC or velocity that I'm shooting, but even 30 mph and hitting close is hard to do. When you think about what you are doing, holding 24 FEET high and 24 FEET left and still hitting within a foot of center, it is a fantastic shot!
The ammo was Australian arsenal ammo with their version of the standard 7.62 NATO 147-gr. FMJBT bullet that left at about 3000 fps from our 30-inch barrels. We had figured its drift to be about 8 inches per mph of cross wind at 800 yards (I corrected my earlier post); the range a Palma match starts at. Bullet drop at 800 was about 200 inches; 25 MOA on the rear sight. Australian rules didn't allow spirit levels on front sights so holding windage was not easy. A one degree cant on the rifle caused about 6 inches of horizontal shift in impact.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.