Lee Powder Safety Scale Questions and Concerns

North Idaho Hunter

Hi guys,
I have a Lee Safety scale that has been working great up until this year. (i started using a friends Lyman Gen 5 scale.)

I had to give the gen 5 scale back (i wish i could afford one) however, upon reloading my last batch of bullets, i cannot get a consistent reading.

I have it square on my bench, with no obstructions, i have it zero'd perfectly.

my problem is when i measure out my charge, i can remove it from the scale, place it back on the scale and i get a completely different reading.

it can never measure the same consistent charge, i do not trust it one bit, so i have refrained from using it.

I never had problems with this in years past until now. Anyone have any suggestions?

I noticed with mine that how the pan hangs on the scale actually made a big difference in the reading. By that I mean how precise you are about setting the pan in the exact same spot. Sliding it forward or backwards on the hook will make it heavier or lighter by changing the degree of leverage the pan can create on the arm. What I have done that helps me get more consistent loads is this:

Instead of the pan arm having a hook on top I have straightened the tip so that when you sit the pan on the table the arm comes up from the pan and the tip sticks out horizontal, or parallel to the table. I the use the scarp edge of a file to make a very small notch in the underside of the arm tip. Now when I set the pan on the scale I slide it over until I feel the pan set into the notch. The pan is now setting on the scale in an identical manner each time.

Make sense? This made my loads much more Consistent.

Jared

I got that jared.

I too found out that the accuracy varied by which way the pan was sitting.

Thank you very much for such a helpful tip, i will try this out!

Always glad to help. If that doesn't even your loads out some then here could be some other issue with your particular scale. I also try not to let the scale go past level. So I dump a charge in the pan slightly under load and then trickle up to level. If I want to check that load again I set then pan on and let it ease up by putting my finger on the bar somewhere. Not just by throwing the pan on and let it teeter back and forth to a stop.

By the pan mod and trickling the charge to finish I can get very good results

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 97
I caught the bug BAD. Up until now i only reloaded to fill the freezer, until my hunting buddies started getting these canyon shooters it sure is fun!

Hi guys,
I have a Lee Safety scale that has been working great up until this year. (i started using a friends Lyman Gen 5 scale.)

I never had problems with this in years past until now. Anyone have any suggestions?

First of all, I have never used your model Lee balance beam scale but I have used a different brand of balance beam for over 40 years so this may or may not be pertinent or helpful.

Every so often I wipe my balance beam down with a couple antistatic dryer sheets and I pay particular attention to any pivot points and magnetic dampener area. From a picture of the Lee that I looked up it did not seem that this model had a magnetic dampener. For the areas I can not wipe down I take a can of compressed air and blow the hell out of things.

At the pivot points I apply a "very small amount" of oil.

It sounds to me that your beam scale has a slight hang up somewhere or you may be getting some wear or binding on the pivot pin that allows the arm to go up/down.

Many years ago I went to a jewelry shop that was certified to weigh diamonds to something like the 1/100th of an ounce. The jeweler weighed a penny, dime, nickel, and quarter for me to the 1/100th of an ounce. I put these exact same coins in a old pill bottle and 30 some years later I still have them and use those coins to "recertify" the accuracy of my beam scale.

Static dust and lack of lubrication are 2 main causes that have caused my triple beam Ohaus to require attention over the years.

Thank you for your help. i will have a closer look at the scale tomorrow, whipe it down and lightly oil the pivot blade.

I sprayed it out quite good with compressed air, but i will do it again just for grins.

Thanks for the great advice.

I have used a whole bunch of Lee loading tools and they all have functioned well but their powder scale is a piece of CRAP. Save your coins and do without a burger and fries out now and then and get you a RCBS or Lyman scale. I used a RCBS 505 for about 30 years and only replaced it with a 1010 because I found one dirt cheap at a gun show used. The main reason that I got the 1010 was because I needed a scale that would weigh cast bullets that were over 505 grs. I shoot BP cartridge with over 500 gr bullets and I weigh each one to make sure that the bullet is perfect with no voids.

I think if im going to pump out close to $200 for a new scale it will be for the new lyman gen 6.

I really liked using the gen 5 scale. i loaded over 500 rounds and it was very consistent.

So many choices, yet so little cash flow :D

Update to the thread. i

did everything you guys mentioned. only difference now, is i cant get the darn thing to zero. I'll get close to zero, and Even the slightest adjustment of the knob knocks it completely off.

Im starting to get a little bit frustrated, i have literally loaded hundreds without issues until now.

Im gonna give'r another go tonight, if not, she's goin straight in the trash :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.