Learning to use my chronograph...

Meanwhile, I'm in chrono debate mental hell...They all have seem to have drawbacks. Just cancelled a Magnetospeed V3 order because I can't deal with a POI and group size change with/without it mounted. Too many complaints about the Magnetospeed Sporter build quality, too many about group size/POI shift on V3, and the LabRadar is expensive, clunky, and limited in some applications. I want a small Radar unit that sits on top of my scope for $400. Is that asking too much?

Yup. Sometimes we are left selecting the least bad option. Or the best of the worst.

At least this decision is with respect to bullet speed. Could be health treatment options or even worse. Don't drive yourself nutty to the point of distress! ;)

Thanks to all for the interesting read. I struggled to believe my chrony was incorrect for a long time. I agree that in a session it gives accurate reads but you have to verify and count scope clicks at long range to build an accurate profile. Most times they are close but I have yet to see it totally correct.

One thing you can do with the 2 screen chronos like the Pro Chrono, Shooting Chrony, etc. (especially at only $120) is to shoot some rounds with it 10' from the muzzle and then put it out at 100 and 200 yards right in front of the target, and shoot through it there. I've done that with a few rifles and was actually surprised to see it closely follow the ballistic tables (Nikon Spot On) for a 7mmRM and 243 Win. Be sure you can shoot 1 MOA or better groups consistently at 200 before trying this at home kids! It's fun though.

I've done this also with my chrony at 100 yds with my 7mm/08. Results confirmed my reading at 12". I also verify it with a known vel from, say , a 22 long rifle , or another load with a verified velocity. Sometimes the light can play tricks, but most time it was good for me.

I would suggest putting the Chrony screens at least 15 feet from the muzzle when shooting something like the 338-378. The muzzle blast can affect the reading if it is too close. I discovered this while shooting my .340 Wby.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts