Lazzeroni 7.82 loaded with Nosler bullets

waveslayer

Does anyone have any info on reloading the Warbird with Nosler bullets. I loaded up some the other day and had major pressure issues with the Accubonds. I followed John Lazzeroni's reloading guide for max pressure and OAL, I was two full grains below the max and experienced Primer blowout with 102 grains using the 180 Accubonds. The 180 Nosler Partition were just fine, the accuracy was amazing with the Accubonds!

I normally use the 150 Laserhead (sp), but I am having issues with close shots on animals, I have to do a few follow up shots. Anything past 150 Yards drop like flies with the 150's.

I shot lots of 180 Accubonds through my Warbird. I found some of Lazzeroni's data was too much for my rifle, and some of it was fine. I remember the data that I was using at the time had a very clear warning to watch for pressure signs as you work up. A chronograph is nice to have while working up also. Which powder were you using?
I'm waiting on a new barrel for mine.

I am using 7828 powder. I stayed 2 full grains under the Lazzeroni max load. it was a little too hot at 102 grains! I used 102 grains of 7828 with some 180 grain Nosler Partition and there was no signs of pressure at all.

I have been using a Chronograph and I was getting around 3528 with the Accubonds at 102, I need to go down to 100 grains and test some rounds.

How are you reloading your Warbird and what rifle are you shooting?

To start with Lazzeroni's data shows a max charge of 7828 with a 180 Partition to be 98.5gr for a velocity of 3464 fps. When I was running 7828 with the 180 Accubond I settled on 97 or 97.5 gr for a vel. Of 3450 fps and no pressure issues. I eventually went to RL25 and was running 103 for 3500 fps. but was thinking of backing off to 102. The barrel went south between 1200 and 1500 rounds so I never did change the load.
My rifle was built on a Rem 700 action by a friend of mine that at the time was building the Lazz rifles out of the Robar shop. It had a 27" 14 twist Lilja barrel. I believe several years later Lazz changed their specs to a 12 twist to help the guys out that wanted to shoot 200+ gr bullets.
All my reloading was done on a RCBS Rockchucker single stage press with RCBS full length dies. I also ran Fed 215 primers in all loads.

You are right on the Max load, I was reloading the 150's at 102 grains, I apologize for the confusion. Yes on the 180 I was getting 3,500 with 98.5 grains. I am tailoring it down to 96 and starting from there. I got my Lazz from Rick Uselton out of Franklin, TN.

waveslayer ,,,,,

you will also get a better velocity to pressure ratio with that heavier 180gr Accubond bullet, by switching to Retumbo or Reloader 25 powder ,,,,, ((fed 215 primer ONLY please)) ,,,,

the IMR-7828 is just a TWEAK fast for a non-lubricated 180gr - 200gr bullet out of the big Warbird ,,,,,,,,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.