lazy cat Co.

I have backpacked all over that country. What do you want to know? I can tell you it is good with about the highest density of elk per sq. mile in the world. It is bad in that it has the highest density of orange vested hunters per sq. mile as anywhere in the world. If you want to shoot an elk you can dodge all the lead flying and have a good chance. If you want a bull with a rack of any size on it look elsewhere. They are cropped off there with the hunting pressure when they reach a 4x4. A few raghorn 6's do show up occasionally.

Well I was thinking about going there to hunt elk. But the way it sounds that's not the best place to go due to over hunting. Is there anyplace around there that is not so over hunted and on public land.

They have been taking bigger bulls up in the Mt. Zirkel wilderness out from steamboat. Lots of elk up there also with less pressure. I think the best hunting for quality and quantity now is in the southeastern San Juans between pagosa springs and the pass east of there and also the road between rio grande reservoir and silverton. Some really nice bulls have been showing up to the north of that road toward uncompahgre peak.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.