Lawton Action ??'s

Big_Tex22

Lawton Action ??\'s

Still getting together 300RUM project, within the next 10 or so years I'll get er done. House building has put a serious halt on things, but I'm still thinkin on rifle plans anyway.

Everything I've been reading on this site sure makes me want to go with the lawton I guess, unless someone can talk me out of it.

Thing is I've already got Rem 700 base, and jewell triger for the 700 action. Aren't the Lawtons still rem 700 specs, and work with 700 accessories, ie stock, bases and trigger?

Is the 7500 action suitable for the RUM rounds (especially if I upgrade one day to 338 edge), or would the 8000 be what I need.

And, if I go repeater what mag do I need to cycle some really long rounds on the lawton action?

What inlet in a mcmillan A5?

Thanks, you guys are LR guru's on here.

Re: Lawton Action ??\'s

Just had Shawn Carlock put together a 338 edge on a Lawton 7500 1.360 action.It is Great.Just getting her broke in,but its a shooter! 93.5 grains H1000,cci 250 300 SMK. 2800FPS, 5/8 INCH AT 200 YARDS.The bases are .860 spacing so 700 bases do not fit.Same foot print for stock bedding.

You will need to order a Lawton base with the receiver.

The M7500 is a single shot only receiver. Its their BR receiver. I am also not aware of them being available in the 408 CT bolt face. They may be but with unless they use a larger diameter bolt then the standard M7500 they will not work with the 408 CT bolt face, not with the extractor system they use.

As far as I know, the m8000 is the only Lawton receiver that will work with the CT.

All Rem triggers and bottom metal will match up with the Lawton M7000 and M7500 receivers.

Kirby Allen(50)

The only Lawton action for the 408 case is the 8000 series.
1.450 dia is not big enough and the bbl tennon is too small, along with the bolt dia.

Barney is coming out with the 7500 with a .750 dia bolt and repeater for the large magnums like the Rums and 338 Lapua.

BD408,

Thats funny, I tried and pretty much begged Barney to make a repeating M7500. He said it could not be done with his current design. He must have totally redesigned his M7500.

That was one of many reason why I designed my own receiver to solve many of the problems with current receivers being chambered in the Lapua wildcats.

For the RUMs, there is really no need for him to increase the size of his receiver other then in the length department if he wants to turn it into a repeater.

Find it interesting that he told me he did not want to try the repeater M7500 because he said it simply would not offer enough receiver support behind the bottom bolt lug. he must be lengthening the receiver to increase the steel behind the lug. Sounds familiar to something I have in the works!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Well, here it is a few years later, house finally built and maybe going to go ahead and get an action and get going on my RUM.
Still leaning toward the 7500 but want somebody to convince me it would be better than a stiller or any other custom 700 action???
Also want to go repeater, is that going to be an option?

Big_Tex
The Lawton 7500 is only available in Single Shot, the 7000 is the repeater model. But the 7500 is a longer action with a little more barrel tennon to support those longer heavier barrels. Both are 1.36 OD or Remington clone.
I have three 7500's and have been VERY pleased with them, I do not think you can go wrong with the Lawton.
Below is the link the their comparison page.
Dave

Welcome to Lawton Machine, LLC

Ditto to what Kirby and Dirtball are telling you, 7000 for a repeater or 7500 as a single shot. For mags, I have used the Wyatt and the Seekins, Seekins having a longer box for the Edge, though both are longer than the Rem. You can ask Glenn at Seekins about bases too. Lawton actions are "Remington" clones, but the rear tang is flat on top and doesn't match the same stock contour as a Rem. and requires building up to match on some stocks. I have been pleased with mine. I have also used the Stiller actions and IMHO they are comparable. By the way, both detachable mags are center feed and require opening the REAR of the mag cutout. Good luck, hope you get your rifle built, call it the "rec room" addition!

If I had a choice I would take the Stiller but that is only based on the one Lawton I had in hand and hope this one just slipped through quality control. All of the Stillers were clean although I feel they could tighten the bolt fit a little on the predators I've used and my Diamondback. The Pierce action I recently checked out is a quality piece and worth a look, my next build will be on one.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.