Last Will and Testament - Who gets your stuff

del2les

As so many of us age and are much, much closer to the end than the beginning, I am curious what everyone's plans are for the day we move on to that "happy hunting ground". Who will take hold of your treasured hunting and shooting gear and all such memories?

Personally, my son will lay claim to most of my firearms, reloading, supplies, trophies, etc, etc, for my daughter has no desire for anything. Even though he will have full rights and does some hunting, he is not a big hunter, collector nor shooter and has never reloaded since leaving home decades ago. Thus, after he picks a few items to keep, I fear most of my valued collection will be sold off.

The above discussion is why I will no longer mount any game. I have over 100 mounts, and I am struggling to put them up for show, and to take care of them. I realized a couple years ago, that as much as I like them, nobody else with have the connection I have to them. For that very reason, I have stopped worrying about a trophy as I will not mount it. During our move a few weeks back, I gave some of the nice racks I had collected to the kids that helped me move the safes. Those racks meant more to them then, than they did to me. So to continue the discussion, after this massive move to a new house, I realized how much mess I have and how much I need to get rid of. If anyone is near ENC and needs powder, I have over 200 pounds of different powders. I am not a horder of powder, and I have bought very little during the crunch, I just have collected it over the years along with primers and other components. I have been selling guns for the last decade and also hunting related decoys, stands, clothes and such. At this point, I do not have any of my mounts in my will as I don't currently have any family that is fighting over it. If over time, people have an interest in it, I will add that to the will or give it to them before the will in in force.

The above discussion is why I will no longer mount any game. I have over 100 mounts, and I am struggling to put them up for show, and to take care of them. I realized a couple years ago, that as much as I like them, nobody else with have the connection I have to them. For that very reason, I have stopped worrying about a trophy as I will not mount it. During our move a few weeks back, I gave some of the nice racks I had collected to the kids that helped me move the safes. Those racks meant more to them then, than they did to me. So to continue the discussion, after this massive move to a new house, I realized how much mess I have and how much I need to get rid of. If anyone is near ENC and needs powder, I have over 200 pounds of different powders. I am not a horder of powder, and I have bought very little during the crunch, I just have collected it over the years along with primers and other components. I have been selling guns for the last decade and also hunting related decoys, stands, clothes and such. At this point, I do not have any of my mounts in my will as I don't currently have any family that is fighting over it. If over time, people have an interest in it, I will add that to the will or give it to them before the will in in force.
Very similar. I quit mounting a few years ago, or I do a very simple home mount. As for reloading supplies, we are in similar boats, as over time, I have acquired large volumes of components for the 52 different cartridges I load for along with casting and swaging equipment and supplies.

I haven't begun selling off firearms or supplies yet, but I may give some serious thought to this after more discussion with my son. I guess I hoped these days would never come.

Put **** in a trust, wills are ******* useless. I'm on my second time dealing with this. Put it in a trust, put names of survivors on stuff, figure this **** out now. I'm glad my family is all gone so when this latest **** show is dealt with its all over. The "I don't care what happens I'll be dead anyway" is the most selfish and heartless thing you can do.

Have the **** discussion with your kids, friends all that. No one lives forever. Who wants what? No one wants ****, sell ot all yourself and go party in Thailand or something.

Excuse the language, grandma isn't even in the ground and the Bankers are already moving in and all I'm getting is voice-mail and who you need to talk to isn't in.

Guns and hunting stuff goes to my buddy's kiddo, insurance and savings gets split evenly between, neice, nephew, deceased wife's two kids and my buddy's kids.

The family farm is perpetually tied up with the remaining descendants of my grandparents, two stipulations, every descendant has to be of legal age and available to sign off to sell or modify the deed. It was the only way I could think of to prevent anyone from selling it and guarantee it remained in the family for everyone to enjoy. I also set aside a trust fund that covers the taxes every year and it has the same stipulations to prevent anyone from emptying it.

My thoughts:

"The kid gets it all. Just plant us me in the **** garden corn, next to the stupid lion dogs.

All our worth is in a living trust with two daughters getting it all (almost). I do have a list secured within the trust for certain individuals, other than my daughters, to receive certain firearms. Some are friends of the family, some are grandchildren. I've made notes providing background on many, some were passed down to me. I've also started gifting some of those firearms now so they can be enjoyed immediately. Problem is, as I create space in my safes I tend to fill the void! 😉

I will be obtaining all of my dad's stuff soon. Like days as he's on his deathbed with stage 4 lung and brain cancer. I'm with my family now. While it's nice to get his stuff it's going to be a real mess getting rid of everything because they didn't estate plan and they live two western states away.

They did set up a trust fund for me however, in case something happened a number of years ago. So yes, I am a trustifarian. The nice thing about a trust is you can keep passing it down to different beneficiaries. Plus, it gives you and your loved ones protection from money grabbing relatives…if you have them.

You can't take stuff with you when you pass, however, you can set up your loved ones if you do some planning. Please do this for your loved ones!

I will be obtaining all of my dad's stuff soon. Like days as he's on his deathbed with stage 4 lung and brain cancer. I'm with my family now. While it's nice to get his stuff it's going to be a real mess getting rid of everything because they didn't estate plan and they live two western states away.

They did set up a trust fund for me however, in case something happened a number of years ago. So yes, I am a trustifarian. The nice thing about a trust is you can keep passing it down to different beneficiaries. Plus, it gives you and your loved ones protection from money grabbing relatives…if you have them.

You can't take stuff with you when you pass, however, you can set up your loved ones if you do some planning. Please do this for your loved ones!
Sorry for your family. At least you have something going forward to stave off the vultures, I mean family member you never see until there is something of value for them.

I paid for my kids education at Duke, Johns Hopkins, and George Washington University. I told them sooner than later I will execute my die broke plan with enough residual to bury ne.

My weapons, three safes full will be disposed, especially the class 3 ones. What would remain will be the ones I designated to go to my grandson. These will be the 1911 I won at Camp Perry, an AR15 with special S/N, my distinguished rifleman badge, and the hunting rifle based on a Defiance AnTiX with special S/N, his initials and birthyear, a Colt Python, a custom built pump based on an 870, and a custom built 1022.

Each of my 3 kids has expressed that they each want one particular piece of taxidermy, and I'll give them each one nice firearm (in addition to what they already have).

I've got one grandkid so far, hopefully many more as the years go on. They will each also get a firearm of some kind.

The rest will get sold off for whatever I can get, probably whenever we decide to downsize out home. Thankfully, that's a long way off!