Largest Non-Typical Shot in Alberta 2005

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by MagMan, Apr 25, 2006.

1. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

These are pictures of my fathers 29 point whitetail he shot in the Peace River area of Alberta on the 21st of November in 2005.

He was contacted by the Alberta Fish and Game Association two weeks ago letting him know it was the largest non-typical shot in 2005. Official score was 226 6/8 (I think may have been 4/8).

Deer was harvested with a Bansner Sheep Hunter X-treme rifle in 300 RUM shooting 180 barns TSX's.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

He is currently in Alberta accepting his award and while he is there he figured he might as well shoot some black bears.

2. oldfamily

oldfamily Well-Known Member

Thats a hoss

3. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

That baby is a horse with horns. Nice job. Any estimate on the body weight of that big boy?

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

That one is a keeper for sure.

5. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

They said this one had the smallest body that they've shot in a long time. I think the estimated live weight was around 250 lbs.

6. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

20 is small?!? It sure looks bigger than that. What weight do they consider big I wonder? Either way it sure is a doosey. Nice rack and nice size deer.

7. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    They said this one had the smallest body that they've shot in a long time. I think the estimated live weight was around 250 lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why the old optical rangefinders that were stadii inside the scope and relied on "average" body size were so difficult to use. A person would see a huge rack and believe there was a huge body that went with it or vice versa. Laser rangefinder technology is a huge advancement over the "good ole days".

8. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

[ QUOTE ]
    That is why the old optical rangefinders that were stadii inside the scope and relied on "average" body size were so difficult to use. A person would see a huge rack and believe there was a huge body that went with it or vice versa. Laser rangefinder technology is a huge advancement over the "good ole days".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter what kind of rangefinder I was using. I would be shaking too bad for either of them to work!!!

That is one helluva deer.

9. huntem

huntem Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter what kind of rangefinder I was using. I would be shaking too bad for either of them to work!!!

That is one helluva deer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya there...pull the trigger

10. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

The story goes,

He was sitting in a $2 plastic Kmart lawn chair next to a big tree looking down a two track (woods on one side large field on the other). Nappy time goes here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Woke up around 4:00, scanned field, waited, looked again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif(Keep in mind he's prepared to shoot 600 yard or so). He sees this thing 200 yards away, grabbed his binos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif then realized how foolish this could have been (should have just grabbed the rifle). The deer was walking down the two track directly at him. He carefully raised his rifle, rested his elbow on the arm of the chair (left side), before nursing the safety off he calmly squeezed the trigger and let off TWICE. He then gingerly fingered the safety off and said to himself "all I need you to do is turn a little bit" deer turned, stopped and WHACK!! Down he went. He then walked up to the deer counted 16 points on one side and started shaking profusely. After counting the one side he left his rifle with the deer and went back to sit down. Three different guides showed up and were equally as excited. I don't think he slept for 3 days.

On a side note there were two other hunters that had hunted the same spot for two days. Not having seen any deer they were discouraged and asked to be placed somewhere else. My father, quick to pipe up and say "I'll go hunt there".

And now he has a full body mount
    [​IMG]

11. mindcrime

mindcrime Well-Known Member

Simply a beautiful animal!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Did anyone check his teeth to find out his age? Looks like He "needed" to be harvested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Only 4 1/2

13. JD338

JD338 Well-Known Member

What a beautiful buck. That buck is what we dream about, only the ones we dream about are smaller!

Congratulations.

JD338

14. Ol'Gator

Ol'Gator Well-Known Member

This is why I go back every year. I've taken some good ones but nothing like this. Awesome trophy.