Lapua Scenar 6.5cal. 139gr.

They are useless for hunting with. They nearly always show ZERO 00000000000000 % expansion; worse than most fmj's. Sorry to rain on your ideas.

Tiff's dead on, worked up a load with them last year, preliminary group was 1 5/8's" at 500 yards, opening morning I shot a yearling doe at 781 yards, impact velocity was approx. 2000 fps, POI was just in front of the hipbone on a hard quartering away shot. upon impact the bullet broke in 2 pieces, the hollowpoint broke off, about 3/8's inch of the nose, jacket and core separated and moved side by side through the deer showing no expansion. the only good thing was as the pieces clipped the underside of the spine they sent bone fragments through the lungs. try the 140 bergers, shoot almost as well and perform much better.
RR

I agree with ridge runner my 6.5x284 shoots the lapua's awesome but they're ony good for predators when I don't want to ruin their pelts. Berger's will work better once they've slowed down some and I bet the new thick jacket vld's will hold up at faster velocities

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.