Lapua brass inconsistency

My new Lapua 6.5x284 brass has over the past ten years had neck wall thickness of
.0145" and a neck OD of .290". Headspace has run about .004-.005" under my typical 1.8" chamber dimension…requiring fire forming. Case length runs 2.60"-2.61". A couple of recent purchase are consistent with these dimensions. My prep is to expand necks to .292" OD and cases are fire formed usually requiring two firings to match my chamber. I neck size after my first firing, then FL resize thereafter. Cases are trimmed to .261 at the first full length resizing. I'll anneal after 3-4 firings. Five shot precision with my loads runs .2-.4MOA once brass is fully prepped for FL sizing. Case life runs 8-10 reloads before primer pockets loosen up. Overall I continue to have good success with Lapua brass. Norma brass has worked equally well, but with 2-3gr less case capacity…and has been usually harder to find. Shooting results are comparable to Lapua. I tried Hornady brass once about 5 years ago and it would not chamber in my rifles.
Your not running hot loads are you? :) There has been a new step in fixing the primer pockets. I haven't used it yet, but it looks like it would work. I can tell you were it's at in LRH, but the info is available.
Case prep: New cases I trim all to length, because I find different lengths out of the box. I cut all my necks for thickness. then I set up size the cases, and other case work.

I too have a good lot of 6.5x284 Lapua brass. Only have two cycles on them,shoot well and problem free to this point. Guess I got a good batch. Purchased a couple years back.

My lot of Lapua 6.5x284 was also purchased several years ago. Maybe that has something to do with it. I still have Lapua brass for other cartridges that is in the gold boxes. 😁

I bought some Lapua brass in 6mmBR recently. I better take a closer look at it to see if there are any issues.

Every company is in a rush to supply products to the consumer, maybe some brass gets through that normally wouldn't. I echo others here, I've used Lapua brass for years with no issues. Like others I have over a dozen reloads on some of my brass ,never a split neck nor case separation. self infected primer pocket issues is another thing. Amazing what a 6.5x55 will do in a strong action.

Your not running hot loads are you? :) There has been a new step in fixing the primer pockets. I haven't used it yet, but it looks like it would work. I can tell you were it's at in LRH, but the info is available.
Case prep: New cases I trim all to length, because I find different lengths out of the box. I cut all my necks for thickness. then I set up size the cases, and other case work.

I keep my loads a grain or two below any signs of pressure. I have tried some of the primer pockets swaging techniques and find I get another reload, maybe two before another re-swaging is necessary. It seems this only seals up the mouth of the primer pocket. But, I'll check the archives to make sure I didn't miss any new developments/techniques..Thanks!

Last edited:
I keep my loads a grain or two below any signs of pressure. I have tried some of the primer pockets swaging techniques and find I get another reload, maybe two before another re-swaging is necessary. It seems this only seals up the mouth of the primer pocket. But, I'll check the archives to make sure I didn't miss any new developments/techniques..Thanks!
I watch all the time.

I have experienced very tight neck with my 6.5-284 Lapua brass. I purchased 200 pieces about 10 years ago, at the time my rcbs dies would almost stick sizing them. I went to forester bench rest dies and they sized much easier. I then went to a mandrel for the necks with graphite and have had great luck with the brass there after. Solid and consistent! cheers, Jason

Here's the reply I got from Lapua

Thank you for contacting us at Capstone PG. What you are running into is what we see from time to time. First, our Lapua brass is not ready to load out of the box and it does need to be full length resized and you should be using a dry lube to run your case necks over the expander sizing ball in your dies. Insofar as the shell holder issue our Lapua brass is made to the European CIP specifications and can cause an issue with a shell holder made to the SAAMI specifications that we use here in the US. To take care of this we have found that you can generally use a Redding shell holder to deal with this issue quickly. Please do not hesitate to get back with any of us with the Capstone Tech Team if we can be of further assistance.

So I recently bought some Lapua brass for 6.5x284 NORMA. This is my first experience with Lapua brass and I must say, I'm not impressed. The case necks are so tight that I HAVE TO use dry lube in order to get them across the expander and about 20% of the case heads have to be muscled in and out of the shell holder. Anyone else seeing anything like this lately? I had much higher expectations
Yes I have 6.5 creedmore and I had neck too tight to load without deformiing bullets because of excessive pressure. My Winchester cases work fine. I had to order rcbs set to expand necks. I thought lupua was high class but now this??

Here's the reply I got from Lapua

Thank you for contacting us at Capstone PG. What you are running into is what we see from time to time. First, our Lapua brass is not ready to load out of the box and it does need to be full length resized and you should be using a dry lube to run your case necks over the expander sizing ball in your dies. Insofar as the shell holder issue our Lapua brass is made to the European CIP specifications and can cause an issue with a shell holder made to the SAAMI specifications that we use here in the US. To take care of this we have found that you can generally use a Redding shell holder to deal with this issue quickly. Please do not hesitate to get back with any of us with the Capstone Tech Team if we can be of further assistance.
Thankyou for the info. I have a few 100 case, but haven't started to use them yet. I was going to resize them to an AI configuration, but was able to get Peterson Brass in shape I wanted. 280AI cases. Sizing to a 6mm/280AI case.
Again thanks!