Inconsistent Lapua bullet length

Natty Bumpo

When I got my 6.5X47, I picked up some 123 grain scenars to try in it. They shot very well, so I later ordered a few hundred more. With the first batch, I seated them to 2.164" at the ogive, which gave an overall length of 2.736" (the published max length in the Vhitavouri load manual). With the bullets I ordered more recently, I again loaded them to 2.164" at the ogive, but now the overall length is around 2.721.

Not a huge difference and I expect they'll shoot about the same. But I was surprised to see this in Lapua. Of course, I only recently got my bullet comparator, so until just a little while ago, I was only measuring overall length. Maybe this kind of thing is common. Anyone else have any experience with this?

This is common from lot to lot, as bullets aren't made to a blueprint or anything.
They're made 'consistant in lot'

As for max length,, do you really think Vhitavouri, or anyone else, can declare YOUR max length?
No, you can't take load manuals so literal.
Your seating depth is what matters, and different bullet types will have some optimum distance w/resp to YOUR lands.
So you've seated the same type(same ogive) the same distance to the lands, and your gun should shoot the same. You're good to go

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.