Lapua 22-250 neck thickness?

highdrum

I just ordered lapua 22-250 brass, matchmaster dies and some heavy ish bullets for my fast twist 22-250. Curious if anyone has any loaded neck diameter dimension for me? I need to get bushings ordered. I will likely make a cleanup pass with my neck turning setup to remove any high sides. Thank you!

At this stage I have three lots of Lapua 22-250 cases (100 cases each) that I load for my three rifles. Loaded with 55 grain Sierra GK bullets 2 lots measure 0.2515" and the third lot measures 0.252".
For all three lots I used a 0.249" bushing in Redding Comp Dies.
My wife's 22-250 is shooting Norma brass and it has slightly thinner necks and we use a 0.247" bushing just as a comparison.

At this stage I have three lots of Lapua 22-250 cases (100 cases each) that I load for my three rifles. Loaded with 55 grain Sierra GK bullets 2 lots measure 0.2515" and the third lot measures 0.252".
For all three lots I used a 0.249" bushing in Redding Comp Dies.
My wife's 22-250 is shooting Norma brass and it has slightly thinner necks and we use a 0.247" bushing just as a comparison.
I appreciate that info, I'll order 248, 249 and 250. Do you expander after sizing or rely on the tension given by the bushing? I have 223 and 222 mandrels ordered.

My case resizing does not involve any type of mandrel or expander button. Basically I de-prime and clean the primer pockets, sonic clean and dry. The cases are annealed every firing with an AMP annealing machine and then resized with the Redding bushing die, primed, charged and the bullets are seated using the Redding Comp seating die.
It is a bad day if I see run out greater than 0.002" with most of them less than 0.0015".
I have found that the Lapua brass tends to have extremely consistent neck thickness which must help with a consistent neck tension as I have a recorded 7.28 fps of ES with a SD of 3.05 fps over 5 shot groups using a LabRadar.
Although I own a Foster outside neck turner I have never found the need to use it on Lapua or Norma brass.
Good luck with your new loading endeavours and please let us know how it turns out.

Not using Lapua brass but a mix of different brass(Hornady, Federal, Sellier & Bellot) & I solely use .250 now in titanium nitride.

1st bushing I bought was a .252 & was my mistake in buying but it was not the right choice as I could push the projectile in just by pressing it against a hard surface.

I think your on the money with your choices of .248 .249 & .250

In saying that it becomes expensive(especially over here) if you need to buy 3.

Although they might be a bit to snug initially if your going to neck turn then the .248 & .249 will then come in handy.

I do think one of the keys to the correct tension does come down to annealing frequently as Kiwi mentioned.

Cant agree with his statement of not using any expander as I think it can lead to over tension imo, I use an expander mandrel.

Good luck đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.