land marks

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by reed, Jul 23, 2008.

1. reed

reed Well-Known Member

I'm loading 210 bergers, and I wanted to try to find the lands, so I polished the bullet real well, seated a couple, loaded and closed the bolt. The bullet shows land marks on only half the bullet when I extract it, do I need to seat deeper or out further out,

Travis

2. HoytemanPA

HoytemanPA Well-Known Member

Twist bullet in 0000 steel wool. Increase length until you see number of squares equal to number of lands.

Rectangles showing lengthways of bullet too deep. Rectangles across bullet or not all lands showing, too shallow.

Seat further out.

3. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that mean the bullet isn't concentric to the case?

4. NesikaChad

NesikaChad Well-Known Member

Might also mean a horrible chamber job.

Just what you wanted to hear huh?

5. britz

britz Well-Known Member

Just in case, are you sure that the scratches on one half the bullet are not scratch marks from ejection?? I hope for your sake they are because the alternative isn't very good.

6. reed

reed Well-Known Member

It's not ejector marks, at first I blackened bullet with a candle and loaded, and kept seating deeperuntil I didn't see marks, when I did this I had marks whole way around. After I decided where to start loads I loaded some up and shot at 300yds to find load and could only manage 3-4" groups, so I figured I would recheck and thats when I noticed that only half bullrt had land marks.

Travis

7. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

That's still 1 MOA. What kind of rifle is this in?

8. britz

britz Well-Known Member

Are you full length resizing. If you are, it is theoretically possible that your case is being shoved towards the ejection side of your chamber by the springloaded ejection plug causing the bullet to touch the right lands first??? Not sure if this makes sense, just brainstorming here ;). As Tyler said, you are still getting groups that arnt too bad here. I'm no gunsmith, but as I think about it, I don't think it is possible for the rifleing to be cut at different lengths. They are cut by a rotary tool and there would have to be some absolutely horrible things going on to get ther rifling cut to different lenghts. If you are fl sizing and you do have a spring loaded ejector, I would consider doing PFL resizing or neck sizing. Just another thought.

9. reed

reed Well-Known Member

gun is a 300wthby 40* shoulder, trued action, sako extractor, 27" hart barrel, rem 700, I am full length sizing my cases.

Travis