LabRadar vs. Magnetospeed

Yes but what difference does that make?

The difference it makes to me, is knowing which approximate direction and amount to adjust my scope to make sure I am on paper the next time I shoot without the magnetospeed attached. If I am shooting an 8 1/2" x 11" target with 6 POA's and I am 2 1/2" high I will be off paper. Therefore once I have shot with magnetospeed to gather velocity, std dev, spread etc, then I go back to group shooting without it. With limited rounds at each weight I dont want to waste one round off paper. I just got a magnetospeed and have yet to get to compare POI shifts, so I was just asking in order to get a little ahead of the game.

Thanks Roy and J E Customs both for your replies.

That's a huge disadvantage to the magnetospeed in my opinion. I shoot for accuracy and chronograph at the same time, I don't want to have to run twice as many rounds down my barrel to get results that could be had with a chronograph that didn't attach to the barrel.

"Accuracy" is the ability of the rifle to print on target in a consistent pattern. In my experience, the Magnetospeed simply moves the group. But the group pattern does not change appreciably in the process. However, for those who are concerned about running a few more rounds through the tube to finalize the load development decision, the LabRadar is now available to order. But the price difference amounts to just about the cost of a new barrel.

Once you have it you have it. I paid $300 for my Oehler in 1979. That was more than 100 hours at minimum wage to give one a idea how much that would be today. It still works fine.

That's a huge disadvantage to the magnetospeed in my opinion. I shoot for accuracy and chronograph at the same time, I don't want to have to run twice as many rounds down my barrel to get results that could be had with a chronograph that didn't attach to the barrel.

If accuracy is the goal, then the speed is an afterthought. Get your rifle shooting, then verify the speed for your ballistics when found. I'm all for chrono-ing load work-up to watch pressures, but as F.N.W. said; it doesn't affect the group; only the impact.

If accuracy is the goal, then the speed is an afterthought. Get your rifle shooting, then verify the speed for your ballistics when found. I'm all for chrono-ing load work-up to watch pressures, but as F.N.W. said; it doesn't affect the group; only the impact.

Accuracy and speed are both important to me. I mostly load for hunting rifles and I want good velocity out of my rifles as well as accuracy. If I were a short range benchrest shooter then I doubt I'd care much about the velocity so long as it shot well. I don't want to work up an accurate load for a 7mm rem mag only to find out that I'm getting 7x57 speeds, it defeats the purpose for me. More data is always a good thing and if I can gather that data in one step instead of two then that saves me time and components. It's also critical in selecting powders for a rifle, I want to know which one gives me the best velocity combined with accuracy so I can select that and concentrate on fine tuning the load, it's a lot easier to narrow down if you can chrono and shoot for groups at the same time.

While I believe those that say they don't see much meaningful change in group size with the magnetospeed attached, the fact is that you can't say that for certain unless you shoot it with and without it attached, again requiring twice the component usage. Anything attached to the barrel is going to affect harmonics and the only way to know how much or where the grouping will move is to shoot it. Trying to tune for accuracy with the chrono attached is pointless, it's no problem with an optical chronograph or the labradar. I tune with the ladder method a lot and it needs to be chronographed when it's shot, you need to know what the load is doing. I wouldn't trust any ladder shot with something attached to the barrel.

I can see the purpose of the magnetospeed if you're restricted to a public range where the range has to be cold to set up an optical chronograph, otherwise the drawback of having it attached to the barrel is more than I'd accept. Fortunately I have my own range on my land so setting up my prochrono digital isn't a problem. It virtually never misses a shot and I've shot through it enough that I trust it's accuracy. I can see a use for the magnetospeed, but for someone like me who wants to chronograph and tune for accuracy at the same time it has a lot of drawbacks.

Len,
The power question is related to how far the unit will track a projectile. This comment was from a review that I read on line. It sounds as if most of the earlier issues were resolved. Can you comment on the probability of picking up a projectile from an near by shooter?

Len,
The power question is related to how far the unit will track a projectile. This comment was from a review that I read on line. It sounds as if most of the earlier issues were resolved. Can you comment on the probability of picking up a projectile from an near by shooter?
We were tracking 338 bullets out to 120 yards.

Just to chime in with my $.02 ... I have a Magnetospeed V3, and it effects the point of impact and the accuracy of my loads. I shoot relatively thin barrels (#4 contour and smaller) and my POI shift is considerable... usually about 4-6 inches at 200 yards. Accuracy goes down significantly as well.

If I had more money I would get the lab radar, but the magnetospeed does what I want it to ... give me accurate muzzle velocity. at least I think it's accurate.:rolleyes:

I don't want to work up an accurate load for a 7mm rem mag only to find out that I'm getting 7x57 speeds, it defeats the purpose for me. More data is always a good thing and if I can gather that data in one step instead of two then that saves me time and components. It's also critical in selecting powders for a rifle, I want to know which one gives me the best velocity combined with accuracy so I can select that and concentrate on fine tuning the load, it's a lot easier to narrow down if you can chrono and shoot for groups at the same time.

Different strokes I suppose.
If I had the accuracy, the velocity wouldn't matter, I can dial as needed. Most of my long range loads run what most call anemic. All in what you can deal with, or end game is.
We didn't notice a shift in group size, just impact.

Certainly dont want to hijack the thread in anyway but from what I have gathered here the magnetospeed shifts POI higher??Is that correct?
Depends on the rifle. I have 2 I use it on. One goes high left and the other way right. But the groups stay real close to the same. Just don't sight in with it on. lightbulb

I have an MSv2... Great unit. Only downfall in design is that it shifts your POI. So in order to use it I just do load development then chrono after I find my load.

I just wish the labradar was more readily available. It makes it hard to be competitive in any market when you have to import items and cant do so on a regular basis and have to take pre-orders for each shipment months out.

looks like I made a good choice when I gave away my shooting croney and bought a magnetospeed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts