LabRadar question

newmexkid

Thinking about getting a LabRadar but, was wondering how difficult they are to operate. Saw a fellow at the range yesterday and he kept pushing all kinds of buttons. Didn't talk to him so I don't know what he was attempting to do. Can this machine be put in the "rifle" mode and then used? I don't need all types of info for my shooting. Just would like velocity and averages.

You can certainly use it with minimal button pushing after initial set up. After you have set your unit up for a rifle. You only need to turn it on and it will by default go to a new shot group. I like to have each group I shoot in a different series. So you need to push 2 buttons to go to the next series. You can review what you have shot for the day or you can take the SD card to your computer and view what you data you collected that day. I have mine set for 2 mins between shots or it goes into standby. If I want to start a new series or restart a series you need to arm it again. I use a tripod I had on hand and so never bought any accessories with the unit. Any cell phone battery pack will work. I do suggest you get a good full size SD card and not the minis with a adaptor. I use a old laptop case to carry it in with my targets and power pack.

I also like to just read the velocity for each shot off the screen so I can write it down in my load book.To do this I push the power button to power up, and the ready button twice so it turns orange ....good to go for as many rounds I choose. Having said that, operationally, it's not very difficult to learn and use all the capabilities. It's a great piece of technology....IMO.

Pushing the buttons is the biggest drawback on the LabRadar, but you can get the phone app and control it via bluetooth. The app is pretty much horrific, especially compared to its competitors' offerings, but it does allow you to control all functions relatively painlessly.

Regardless, if you've got the budget, and are considering a LabRadar, go for it. Even with the terrible interface, it's far and above the easiest and most accurate chronograph I've seen.

Buy one.
Shoot a 2-20 shot group, it tells you 5 different velocities as varying yardages (MV, 20, 40, 60, 80 yds), calculates SD, ES, and average velocity, gives you high and low in a string, plus each individual velocity.
Saves up to 100 shot strings, awesome for load development.
No need to shoot through or over it.
Works with or without muzzle brake.
Works with a suppressor with an added mic.
Works from the shooting position within reach, not 10' in front of you.
Only drawback is battery life. Get a rechargeable battery pack, or buy AA in bulk.

but it does allow you to control all functions relatively painlessly.
I just got my Labradar today. I installed the app, I can't find how to control all functions like you said. All I see is the ARM function, I'm using a S7 Droid.
Am I missing something?

Only drawbacks that we have found is it stops reading after 3900 fps and it won't read short shots like 20 ft.

I just got my Labradar today. I installed the app, I can't find how to control all functions like you said. All I see is the ARM function, I'm using a S7 Droid.
Am I missing something?
Welcome to the app. As far as I can tell, they designed it for the first iPhone 10 years ago, and only recently built a chronograph to use it. It's utterly horrific by 2019 standards, but in reality, once you lower your expectations to "wireless remote", it's not all that bad.

If it's anything like the iPhone app, you need to swipe right up at the top left corner (orange LabRadar symbol) to get to the settings page (distances, trigger, rifle/pistol, etc). In the main app screen, the only thing you can do is arm the unit, look at shots and strings, and add a new string.

There's a + button up at the top for new strings. Be aware you cannot reoccupy an old string. Once you create a new one, you can't go back and keep shooting in a previous string.

There's a circular arrow icon like recycling, which will refresh the connection and update the data.

I believe there's "Shot lists", "String Lists", and maybe "Details". Those are where you can review data you already collected.

Basically, the app is terrible, but it will allow you to avoid the even more terrible button pushing. This means you can align the unit, and not jiggle it off target with button pushing.

As I mentioned though, horrific app and interface included, this puppy is still the best consumer chrony on the market in my opinion. Just a little embarrassing that a $550 tool doesn't come with modern support technology.

The instructions that come with the LabRadar are fairly easy to follow. When I bought mine I also bought the case and there is a place inside the case that the instructions neatly fit into. If you buy one I suggest you get a good quality SD/SDHC card but make sure it is less than 32 Gbs. Please be aware that once you start a new series you can't go back to a previous series and add shots. You can go back and edit and view previous series. This is about the only negative feature I have found with my LabRadar.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts