Koplin Gun Boot 6.0

I have a 338 Edge with a 30" barrel plus a DE brake with a 5.5-22x50 NXS scope, and it almost fits in the Gun Boot 6.0 Impact. By almost, I mean the back of the case comes within 1 inch of snapping shut.

howard3:

Do you know where the interference is? i.e. is it the barrel/overall length of the gun, or is something else hitting the case and not letting it go all the way down?

It is the barrel/overall length. The entire rifle does fit inside the case, but the back of the case hits the bottom point of the recoil pad when you try to snap it shut. Also, this is with the sunshade removed from the Nightforce scope. The inner soft case/sleeve has some sort of pad attached inside to protect the end of the barrel. This pad appears to be about 2" long and I think this is what prevents the rifle from seating deeper in the case. I have not had a chance to see if I can remove or modify this pad.

Yes, the sunshade hit before the end of the barrel did. One other issue with the case is that when you flip up the back end, it has a notch at the hinge that is supposed to hold it up and out of the way while you remove or insert the rifle. However, even on my brand new case the back end falls down as soon as you start pushing or pulling the rifle. I plan to use a small bungee cord to hold it open.

Just an update on this. I ended up buying one of these gun boot 6.0. My rifle does fit but I had to do some slight modifications around the opening where the scope slides in.

The specs on the rifle as it goes into the case.
Stiller Tac 338 Action
26" Barrel with DE Muzzle Brake Total length ~28"
Lone Wolf Howler Thumb Hole stock with 14.5" length of pull
USO SN3 T-pal Scope with 4" Sun Shade and Seekins Meduim Rings
ACI Gauge on Left side of Scope

The ACI is actually what is catching up on the opening of the case as it goes into the scabbard. I am going to machine the mount I have for the gauge down a little which should give me some room on the case. It is a tight fit but it does go in.

SES50

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.