Kodiak brown bear rifle

Live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Caliber choice for me would be 30 caliber and up. Shot my first moose at 240 yards with 1 round from my custom 300 RUM with 200 grain AB . It's all about shot placement. Just my 2 cents.

Just grab an all-American favorite, the AR. Slap a mag full of 40gr Sierra BlitzKing, get within 10 yards and you should be good to go I bet you might be able to crank off most of those rounds with adequate amounts of adrenaline pumping!
Congrats on the hunt opportunity and good luck finding your perfect round for the job.

I have a H&H improved in my 375-358STA (and I've also built a couple standard 375 H&H's and JRS's) but I'd still pick a 375 Ruger or a 37 Nosler ( Nosler owns the website for this so it's going to happen eventually along with a 33 and 27). Unless you get a action big enough for a 375 Norma. Shorter and fatter with the same capacity is just easier to fit in a magazine.

Probably the easiest 375 H&H improved is a 375 Weatherby or a 375-8mm Rem mag aka 375 JRS if you still think you want a long belted mag. The 375 H&H AI is only about 2-3grs more capacity than a 375 JRS. That's about 20fps and you have to fireform cases. The JRS is a straight necked up case.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/375-norma-127219/

This is a great option. I am already half there on the 375 norma. My 284 thor is a 7mm/338 norma mag improved. HMMmmmm!
Reminton action
HS detacable mag
26 inch barrel 5 contour
Manners stock
Nightforce 2.5x10x42 scope
Think that might be great Alaskan Rifle

You might consider a slightly heavier contour with a .375. A #5 on a 375 would be like a #4 or 4.5 on a 7mm because of the bore size. I would do a light palma, a #5.5, or a #6 if it was mine. I just ran the numbers and a 375 bore is .35 lbs lighter than a 7mm 26" long. A #5 to a #6 is .5lbs. So a #6 .375 barrel would weigh about 2oz more than a #5 7mm.

This is a great option. I am already half there on the 375 norma. My 284 thor is a 7mm/338 norma mag improved. HMMmmmm!
Reminton action
HS detacable mag
26 inch barrel 5 contour
Manners stock
Nightforce 2.5x10x42 scope
Think that might be great Alaskan Rifle

That would probably be sweet, I'd go heavier on the barrel like was mentioned, a #5 on a 338 is what I use for a light builds!

You might consider a slightly heavier contour with a .375. A #5 on a 375 would be like a #4 or 4.5 on a 7mm because of the bore size. I would do a light palma, a #5.5, or a #6 if it was mine. I just ran the numbers and a 375 bore is .35 lbs lighter than a 7mm 26" long. A #5 to a #6 is .5lbs. So a #6 .375 barrel would weigh about 2oz more than a #5 7mm.[/QUO

6 won't fit in the stock

Bigngreen is in the process of putting together a rifle that I think would be great. We have been talking about making semi round nose bullets with large hp for short range work. The rifle is a .375-.338Lap imp. I think we could make a 425g+ bullet that would run in the 2600fps+ range and hit like a freight train. This rifle in a carry weight of about 12lb should be easy to shoot and be able to make a follower.

I have given this rifle the pet name 375 Big Dog.

Steve

I would build more on a Manners MSC-T will go to a #8, I would not want to go with an the ultra light EH stocks, you need some heft in it to take the recoil and suck a little of it up.

......................6 won't fit in the stock..........................

Your thoughts on twist, and barrel length?

1in 12 twist. 24-25 inch length Kreiger
Rogue action

Manners dose not sell the EH 3 with the 5 contour channel any more. They had problems with stocks splitting. I will try aMcMillan Classic instead.
Jewel trigger
HS detachable mag

Travis Redell owner of RBros rifles will be building it

Bigngreen is in the process of putting together a rifle that I think would be great. We have been talking about making semi round nose bullets with large hp for short range work. The rifle is a .375-.338Lap imp. I think we could make a 425g+ bullet that would run in the 2600fps+ range and hit like a freight train. This rifle in a carry weight of about 12lb should be easy to shoot and be able to make a follower.

I have given this rifle the pet name 375 Big Dog.

Steve

This round or one similar was considered but it is to long to fit in a magazine.
The Cartridge I am leaning to is a 375/338 norma mag improved. Should get sufficient
Horsepower with 300 grain pills and fit in a HS precision mag and be light and packable

I think Bigngreen was talking about an action/magazine that would handle a 4.2" cartridge? I think we could make that work.

Steve