Kneeling shooting sticks demonstration this morning in shooting Camp up in the mountains of Wyoming

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
LRG_SON02107.JPG
This is Robb Wiley showing Andy and part of the group using a .22 caliber training rifle

Move those sticks forward a few feet so you can lean into that post with your shooting shoulder and it will improve accuracy tremendously.

Because our grass around here is so tall I have to shoot off of sticks pretty much anytime I'm stalking unless it happens to be right along the edges of a wheatfield.

If you don't have a tree, post, stump etc to lean into but have partner along have them lean into you shoulder to shoulder.

You are correct about the pole for leaning against. In this morning session that was covered, too.

"Move those sticks forward a few feet so you can lean into that post with your shooting shoulder and it will improve accuracy tremendously."

You are correct about the pole for leaning against. In this morning session that was covered, too.

"Move those sticks forward a few feet so you can lean into that post with your shooting shoulder and it will improve accuracy tremendously."
When you're as wobbly as I am you learn to cheat every way possible to get steady.

Some of the shooting stations have a more stable positions a short distance away, but the actual firing spots are selected to emphasize a particular skill.
Other places in the course worked on basics.
Just shooting at 9000' was a lesson in itself for me.

My cousin and I use a Primo's polecat rapid pivot system, with the two parts that fit together. Mine is actually the version made prior to being bought out by Primos, which was made by Stoney point, and it's the tripod. It is very steady, and has aided me in some coyote hunts. Haven't had a chance to use it on big game, but I'm sure it would work great. We keep our male fitting on the front sling stud and our Harris bipods on the rear stud.
Stoney_Point_T2T13_PXX_Rapid_Pivot_Tripod_Short_540448.jpg
s-l225.jpg

I use a set of quad sticks, so I get support both at the front and the rear of the rifle. They're very stable indeed compared to normal shooting sticks. Mine are Seeland's 'Decoy' model, but you can make your own quite cheaply.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.