Kirby, I answered your post about the 338

It was at least ten years ago I ran into a guy at a gun show that was using "graphite" on his barrels, some of his finished rifles weighed less than four pounds. I honestly can't remember the name of the company, could have been something like Apollo, or Acme? I don't know if carbon and graphite are interchangable words for the same thing?

But, I have bought McMillan stocks before, and it seems like they took at least four weeks? When I asked for a stock for a Howa, I was told that they set all the oddball stuff (like Lazzeroni) off to the side until they get a bunch, and do them all at once, when they get enough to mess with. As I recall, that Howa took almost twice as long as others?

Good hunting. LB

GoodGrouper,

Thats cool that you spoke with him. The info about the carbon process is interesting. A gunsmith I spoke with said he doesn't like Christensen's barrels because that carbon insulates rather than dissapates the heat.

It says alot about the company and the man when they will take the time like that and answer all your questions when you know they are very busy.

I'm pretty excited about your project and eventually mine. By the way have you figured what the finished barrel will roughly cost? Thanks again for the info. Take care

Boman

Well, after I got off the phone with Mike again today, he convinced me to go with a Rock Creek 5r barrel that will be cut on his Pratt/Whitney single point cut rifling machine and then be hand lapped to boot. To have this barrel pre-proofed, lapped and wrapped was a quote of $700 (barrel included) <font color="red"> IF </font> I get him some PSI estimates and proof test it afterwards for his records and future sales. I said, "done deal".

I own at least one or have owned one of all the major barrel makers barrels of current times except a Rock River so this will be a new game to me but I expect it to be a great barrel. Many folks on this forum are already using them and I have heard nothing but good remarks thus far.

I think thats a pretty good deal considering what your getting. Are you going with the M24 contour or something else? I have never had a Rock barrel but like you I've never heard anything negative about them only positives. Sounds like this project is coming together. Cant wait to see the final product. Take care

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.