Kirby 1, Nikon 0

7mmSendaro

This past year I had Kirby re-barrel and accurize my 300WM Weatherby Vanguard. He did a good job of getting it back to me in time to get loads developed and set-up. However, due to another delay out of both our hands, I just got the rifle in my hands last week. I spent a whole day at the range breaking it in per Dan Lilja's instructions. I finally had a load that looked OK, not as good as I expected, but acceptable due to time constraints.

Tonight I went to the range with 15 rounds for the sole purpose of zeroing the rifle. We leave for Wyoming Monday the 6th.

After a 5 shot 5 inch group at 200 yards, I was extremely frustrated. The same load had just shot a 5/8" group at 100 yards.......

Knowing the loads were fine and the quality of Kirby's work, the only other variable was the brand new Nikon 5-20 Monarch I had put on. With only 4 rounds left and loosing daylight, we pulled the 2.5-10 off my Dad's AR, bore sighted, thenn fired one shot at 100 yards. It was close so I made a quick adjustment, then moved to 200 yards.

I then shot my last three rounds, all touching at 200 yards! :D Not very pleased with Nikon right now but extremely pleased with Kirby!

I have a VXIII 4.5-14 x 40 sitting on the shelf that I'll put on and zero tomorrow. Guess I'll have to ship this boat anchor back to Nikon. To be fair, between my Dad and I we have a dozen Monarchs and this is the first issue. As usual, at the worst possible moment.

Kirby, thanks for a great job!

Worst moment.........I hear ya.

After chasing my zero around for about a year, it kept moving around center POI about 1" @ 200. Definitely good enough for a medium range shot but not for LR. Last week the little bevel windage thinger that fits into the rear base windage screw sheared off.

Tho't my sope crapped out.:( Went with double dove tail bases and all is well. No more drifty zero.

Sounds like you'll be ready though. Good luck on your hunt.

7mm Sendaro, I have a Leupold MK4 16x40 that has 150 minutes of verticle for sale if you are interested. Call me @ 817-613-6785 if you are, BTW it is in perfect condition.

Chase​

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.