Kimber 8400's Accurate??

FullCurlHunter

Helloe,

I am thinking of adding a 270 WSM to my gun collection as this will be my sheep/goat/mountain gun.

I am looking at two guns specifically:

1. The NEW HS Precision Professional Hunter Sporter Lightweight as I can get a 24 or 26" barrel rather than only a 22" barrel on their old professional lightweight hunter.

(I recently toured their factory in Rapid City, SD and was extremely impressed with their opeartions and I know that they are tack drivers as I am a accuracy freak)

2. I am also considering Kimber's 8400 Select Grade in 270 WSM. Which is a less expensive option but am giving up the hand made "custom" tuning piece to the equation. (I called Kimber to see if their Montana Stock would fit on to the select grade's action for mountain/sheep hunting/adverse conditions hunting but have not yet heard back)

ULTIMATE QUESTION: What has everyone heard about Kimber's 8400 in regards to their inherent accuracy. (I will be able to handload which will help but accuracy in general I believe starts with a well built action/barrel held to strict tolerances. I know the HS Precision's will shoot but that is why a person pays more....can the Kimber compare!?!?

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I would like to hear the good and the bad!

Fullcurl, I've got a Kimber Montana in 270 WSM. It's a good shooter for such a thin barrel.

I came across a thread on owner satisfaction with Kimbers with many, many respondents on www.24hourcampfire

The overall flavor of it was something like 30-50 percent were happy with guns that shot 1.5 inches or less and functioned reliable. The rest were very, very unhappy with unreliable function, poor accuracy, and terrible customer service.

I would really love one in .243 for the wife and son, but with my luck I'd get a lemon and would kick myself for not heeding all the poor reports. I actually had a 7mm/08 almost out the door and thought better of it given the dealer had just told me Coopers were "junk" so I thought buying this rifle from him would potentially be a nightmare.

Apparently, sending one back to Yonkers is a waste of time and money. There is an outfit called Hill Country Rifles that does a good business in making them shoot the way they should---for a price that makes you wish you went ahead and bought a Cooper.

For what you want it for, the .280 A.I is now available in a repeater action and quality synthetic stock and Nosler has a factory loaded 140 grain Accubond doing 3150 fps. There is a 1/2 inch guarantee with the rifle. I would also look at the Sako 85 synthetic is you are wanting a factory shooter. You can get a pretty wood stock for both as well for when you come down from the mountains.

To make this even more of a no brainer, Leupold has custom shop Vari-X III 3-10 x 40 with the B and C reticle calibrated exactly to the Nosler load that just got SAMII approval

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.