Kick Pad

tjbill

My dad has a 300 Weatherby Vanguard that we are trying to make shootable for him without adding a brake. He can shoot his Abolt 30-06 all day, but the Weatherby needs some attention. What is the best kick pad out there? My older brother and I bought him an Idaho hunting license and elk tag for Christmas, so I want to get him set up early! Thanks in advance.
Bill

tjbill : try the Limbsaver ,I think that will be your best recoil Pad , and try to have the gunsmith that installs the pad to cut the Rifle stock at a little bit of an angle so the recoil will be directed upwards a little instead of straight back that will help also.
good luck
Navarro

I second the Limbsaver. I actually like the slip-on version better. It's not as pretty, and adds a bit to length of pull, but it really tames the recoil.

Tjbill, The limbsaver pad is the greatest. It will really help. Also, you don't need max 300 Weatherby loads to kill elk. Get a good bullet and back it off just a tad to help with recoil. In the real world, there is nothing wrong with your 06 if your Dad shoots it good and is comfortable with it. I would rather see him shoot an 06 that he can hit with than a mag that he is not as good with. Work up a good load/bullet combo for the 06 and go kill an elk! Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tjbill
I've taken 5 Montana elk with my 06 over the years. There's nothing wrong with that calibre for elk, and i'm not one to shot those animals 1000 yds. away, you put the sneak on em and give them a sporting chance. They a magnificent animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.