Kelbly rings/lapping

Yes the base is made using the drop. And yes if your action is factory you will have some sort of distortion on both the action and the base. I purchased a Ken Farrel one piece base for my win 70 action and in it was the instrutions to "glue" using a high strength industrial expoxy of sorts. When I laid the base on the rifle action I noticed that it did not contact the rear of the action. I took it to work and laid it on our granite layout table and ran an indicator over it, it was straight to within .0005 which still would have imparted stress into the action or the base and thrown the alignemnt of the rings off. I did as the instructions said and "glued" the base to the action, I used Ti Devcon and let it harden by clamping the portion of the base that did contact the action allowing the space (left because of the action being inconsistant) to be filled with the expoxy devcon. Then tightened the scope base screws as suggested by the instructions.
I am nto saying in anyway that Badger's stuff isnt up to par, bar far it is some of the best equipment you can purchase however if it is placed on an inaccurate surface it will still not solve the problem.
I lapp my rings, thats my story if they dont want to so be it I have made my point and thats the end of my story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Skinny--yes you can easily flex ANY mout rail by tightening the screws--they aint that stiff.

GG--since you are using a speedy sleeve, ask SPEEDY what he thinks...I BET I KNOW THE ANSWER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

[ QUOTE ]
Sakofan,
Badger rings would have worked fine, but I already had the Kelbly's so I used them. Kelbly's rings are coming with inserts too, but only in 1" size I guess. My scope is thirty of course. How come I always want want they don't make?!

[/ QUOTE ] Most should understand Kelby's rings only fit a certain application and since the base is milled on Speedy's sleeve your use of rings is different than most. Kelby doesn't recommend lapping and never has. The top and bottom rings are milled for one section matched and numbered so not to get them mixed up . I've always used a one piece on my Rem and never had a problem and my BR rifles same thing no problem. To be honest I've lapped everything but Kelby's rings and I have them on about a dozen rifles either single on double screw depending on caliber. I picked up a set of black Outback made just like Kelbys before they made black ones and those are nice rings also. I just finished lapping a set of leupold 30mm. I did a pair of Badger on a LR rifle and they were pretty true just had one spot off. Well good luck.

epoxy base

[ QUOTE ]
one piece base ... and in it was the instrutions to "glue" using a high strength industrial epoxy ... I used Ti Devcon and let it harden by clamping the portion of the base that did contact the action

[/ QUOTE ]

Should you Scratch the base and action to help the epoxy bond?

Re: epoxy base

I drilled small holes and sanded it rough the holes didnt go all the way through. I doubt you really have to do this as the Ti Devcon and the screws should be enough to prohibit base movement and separation of the devcon.
I havent had any problems with it and the gun has about 1200 rnds through it so far and the zero stays the same. http://www.devcon.com/devconfamilyproduct.cfm?familyid=124 this is what I used and I also use it to bed my rifles. It is hard as heck when cured and had to work with too but it is pliable enough to withstand shock and torsional forces. It also works good for adding weight where needed. It machines well too and you can tap it although I would suggest inserting a helio-coil and this would be for low strength usage as I have not tested it for strength with tapped holes.

Re: epoxy base

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
one piece base ... and in it was the instrutions to "glue" using a high strength industrial epoxy ... I used Ti Devcon and let it harden by clamping the portion of the base that did contact the action

[/ QUOTE ]

Should you Scratch the base and action to help the epoxy bond?

[/ QUOTE ]

i rough the base with 60 grit and RELEASE AGENT the reciever--you want it to come off the reciever, but stick to the base /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.