Kansas Whitetail -- Drew My Tag

Kasas Whitetail -- Drew My Tag

I live in about the same latitude, but I think the Kansas winds will make it a feel a lot colder so planned to take the serious cold weather gear. I've been shooting my rifle with an extra thick PAST recoil shield to simulate the extra thickness of the clothing I expect to wear.

If I drive out I will take my spotting scope, but if I fly it will be 10x binoculars and a 4.5x14 rifle scope. I will just have to make the best of it though.

Those little chemical warmers are life savers on cold stands. I place mine about the same as you, but add one under the hat. That one makes a lot of difference.

The outfitter will have stands prepared and said we could possibly do some spot and stalk depending on conditions. He did not seem to believe the rut would still be that active in rifle season and said he would adjust the strategy for conditions.

Taxidermist and meat processing. Yep! Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
Another good place to put those chemical packs is under your coat and on the back of your neck. It works for me up here in the nations icebox. :D

Charles B, usually there will still be signs of the rut going on during gun season, especially the first 5 days or so. It will be kind of hit and miss, but you may see 5 bucks on one doe at that time of year, but it can turn off at a moments notice for sure. Good news is that if you do see a hot doe there is a good chance that the biggest buck in the area will be with her. Lots of broken horns that time of the year, but we have had a very good spring and so hopefully the horns will be big and strong. Good Luck on your hunt and be sure and post pics. One other thing, bring your spotting scope however you come, it makes judgeing bucks easier and more enjoyable watching to boot, my advice.

That is a big 10-4 on the spotting scope and chemical packs. I decided to drive considering all the issues with flying and luggage, I can haul want I want now. Keep the advice coming.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.