Justa greenhorn

Texas79423

Being a city dweller all of my weapons have always been for home defense. 1911's shot guns, 2 AR's, 10/22 for plinking.

I just retired and bought 50 ac. of land and built a new home.. I got coyotes after my small dogs and praire dog taking over this spring. I am new to needing long guns but do enjoy the ones I have I am working on the coyotes.

I bought a rem. 700 sps aac in with 1:10 twist and a ruger 22-250 with 1:10 twist. Am I correct in assuming the fast twist rates are better for longer shots and I need the heavier bullets to reach out to 300 or so yards.

Yes, the faster twist will stabilize the heavier bullets in the 22 cal. but not the heaviest. At 300 yds the 22-250 is a not all that far. I shoot 55-69 gr in my custom 24" AR/223. I am far from the most knowledgeable on the site, but might be able to point ya in right direction. The Google search is custom for this site in top right corner of page. In the coyote hunting section you'll find what a lot of guys are shooting and some tips. Welcome aboard!

Gene

i have a ruger vt in 22-250. i get dine size groups with 55gr hornady soft points @ 3600.

A 22/250 with 55 gr SpBT will smack a coyote at 500 yards for sure. It will shoot really flat out that far too. But after that first shot their going to back off. Make the first shot pretty close and then take each one after that as close as their safe zone is to you.

The AR's/MSR work pretty good too. Followup shots are much easier.

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.