Just Keeps Getting Worse

Muddyboots

Saw orthopaedic doc today and tore rotator AGAIN in right shoulder. Had complete reconstruction done in December 2018 and I just had a brain fart and was ripping nails out of some old timbers and had stubborn one. So gave it a really good pull and pop goes the little weasel. On top of this, might have partial tear in left achilles that I am seeing doc on Friday. I was hoping for bulk pricing all at once but they didn't think that was too funny.

The ONLY good thing is for me to order barrels that take 12-16 weeks or more so I have something to look forward to when all said and done. So my bowhunt to ND for mule deer in Sept is now probably off the table and do not want to use xbow so do not see how I can go with my son that I was looking forward to so much.

Seems like I got into more trouble staying home isolated than when I was out and about!

Sorry that you are having some trouble. Hopefully all will work out and you heal up faster than you expect. That trip with your son. You might consider making it just to give him a bad time. I know that the time I spend with my son and grandsons is very special. Good luck and be safe.

I hate crossbows (they truly are cheating, unless you are using them during firearms season)....

BUT, I think you should get one and go. You never know how many you have left. He gets a new, more demanding, job on the other side of the country, you get another bum digit, he has another kid.... there's always an excuse lurking around the corner. Go if you can!!!

Edit: my cheating comment wasn't very nice. The crossbow is perfect for situations like this (injury/disability). As others have said, I'd say do whatever you can and hunt by any legal means to spend time with your son.

Last edited:
Since I am retired I may just go to scout and "find" him a buck which would be better since I could retell that a million times! I do have a xbow Bowtech Stryker 380 but it doesn't have capability to marry up to a crank cocking device.

Let's see: new Hoyt at lower poundage and new Mission Xbow? Medical PT devices I think don't you?

Saw orthopaedic doc today and tore rotator AGAIN in right shoulder. Had complete reconstruction done in December 2018 and I just had a brain fart and was ripping nails out of some old timbers and had stubborn one. So gave it a really good pull and pop goes the little weasel. On top of this, might have partial tear in left achilles that I am seeing doc on Friday. I was hoping for bulk pricing all at once but they didn't think that was too funny.

The ONLY good thing is for me to order barrels that take 12-16 weeks or more so I have something to look forward to when all said and done. So my bowhunt to ND for mule deer in Sept is now probably off the table and do not want to use xbow so do not see how I can go with my son that I was looking forward to so much.

Seems like I got into more trouble staying home isolated than when I was out and about!

So sorry to hear that.

First, you need doc with a good sense of humor, the bulk pricing park was funny.

In all seriousness you need to take care and follow docs orders. If you can travel when the trip with your son comes up I'd say still go, it won't be the same but time spent together is still priceless.

Hope you get better and God bless.

Since I am retired I may just go to scout and "find" him a buck which would be better since I could retell that a million times! I do have a xbow Bowtech Stryker 380 but it doesn't have capability to marry up to a crank cocking device.

Let's see: new Hoyt at lower poundage and new Mission Xbow? Medical PT devices I think don't you?
I have the Mission Sub-1. I like it.

Almost exactly 4 years ago I sat at dinner with my wife and told her I felt like I needed to take my dad on a trip to Montana to visit his brother-in-law in Turner and go for some prairie dogs. She didn't resist and we went. I'll never forget the way he laughed when he connected with that first PD on that trip with his 6mmBR (a Remington 788 he paid $78 for when I was a kid - now rebarrelled after the original 243 was burned out from more than a few too many nosler 55g at 3950fps!.) So - while my dad is still with us, now, at 81, I don't think he could make the trip again - certainly not the way we did nearly 4 years ago.

I don't think there is any such thing as "cheating" when we do what we can do and spend the time with those we love in relationships that cannot be replaced ... There are some things money cannot buy. And ... there are SOME things it CAN ... like a crossbow ...

Full and speedy recovery to you muddy!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the bad luck and timing. You should go with your son just to spend time together. I'd love to have my dad come along even if he wasn't carrying.

The Xbow is just for these situations if you ask me. Great alternative if bow isn't an option.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts