Just Joining from Atlanta

mrkkid

I've been watching this forum for months and decided to join.

I purchased a production (Weatherby Vanguard) 6.5 CM last year and suddenly am enthralled about long range shooting again. I was trained a little in the army and qualified on M-14's (iron sights out to 500 meters) and Remington bolt action 7.62 rifles (Redfield 3-9 scope). Although that's the extent of my training, I have hunted for over 50 years and have shot deer and antelope at over 500 yards.

My got my first center fire rife in 1965, a Weatherby Mark 5 257 Magnum. It was built in West Germany and I still own it. It does need and deserves a new barrel but I'll never part with it. Probably the most accurate rifle I own is a Steyr Mannlicher in 7X64 (essentially a 280 Remington). I've used it to take a nice 38" Dall ram, a really nice Alaskan Caribou and numerous deer - both whitetails and mulies. But I probably have shot more animals with my 300 Weatherby mag than any of the other guns.

I grew up in west Texas where we had whitetails and blacktails and antelope and javalina . I've hunted in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Alberta, and Alaska. I've take big Canadian whitetails, mulies, and antelopes and one raghorn elk. I have chased elk on several guided hunts to no avail and have lately been archery DIY hunting in Colorado where there are far more archers than elk -- no matter how far, or how high, you walk in. So I've decided to go later in rifle seasons.

I have gone nuts trying to purchase or have built a super light 6.5 PRC. I have a relationship with a gunsmith but he's months behind. I know my Steyr or 300 mag would suffice (both are 6 1/2 guns naked) but I've fallen prey to all the hype about 6.5 PRC's (not the least of which I've gotten by reading LRH). I've shot some feral hogs here in central Georgia with my little 6.5 CM - some even over 600 yards - and have concluded that cartridge, though terribly accurate, is just not enough to hunt elk.

I've concluded this forum is ripe with hunters that know so much more about what I am intrigued with, and I just had to join up.

Welcome to the forum!! I look forward to exchanging thoughts and experiences with you.

I hunted Elk (unsuccessfully) with bow and arrow for about 9 years. Saw Elk but only once had a possible shot but decided not to take it because of the distance and wind.

Then 6 years ago I figured I'm not getting any younger so I tried a 4th season rifle in CO over by Craig where the herd is suppose to number 24,000 Elk. It turned out to be a warm and dry year so the Elk stayed up high. Even though I hunted 9500 to 10,500 feet I didn't see a single animal. Where do 24,000 large critters hide? Probably 10 miles from the nearest road where I'm not physically fit to go.. 😒

Quality intro. Welcome from Colorado.

ShtrRdy,
Where do 24,000 large critters hide? Probably 10 miles from the nearest road where I'm not physically fit to go.. 😒
CIMG4193.JPG

I took this shot as I looked up while cleaning my elk that year. Sat and watched them for about 20 minutes.

It was amazing to me that they came around while I was in the process of cleaning an animal (and really not too worried about my making noise in the process).

Yup. Close to 10 miles away from nearest road, that's for sure.

Again, to Mrkkid, welcome to the forum!

I've been watching this forum for months and decided to join.

I purchased a production (Weatherby Vanguard) 6.5 CM last year and suddenly am enthralled about long range shooting again. I was trained a little in the army and qualified on M-14's (iron sights out to 500 meters) and Remington bolt action 7.62 rifles (Redfield 3-9 scope). Although that's the extent of my training, I have hunted for over 50 years and have shot deer and antelope at over 500 yards.

My got my first center fire rife in 1965, a Weatherby Mark 5 257 Magnum. It was built in West Germany and I still own it. It does need and deserves a new barrel but I'll never part with it. Probably the most accurate rifle I own is a Steyr Mannlicher in 7X64 (essentially a 280 Remington). I've used it to take a nice 38" Dall ram, a really nice Alaskan Caribou and numerous deer - both whitetails and mulies. But I probably have shot more animals with my 300 Weatherby mag than any of the other guns.

I grew up in west Texas where we had whitetails and blacktails and antelope and javalina . I've hunted in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Alberta, and Alaska. I've take big Canadian whitetails, mulies, and antelopes and one raghorn elk. I have chased elk on several guided hunts to no avail and have lately been archery DIY hunting in Colorado where there are far more archers than elk -- no matter how far, or how high, you walk in. So I've decided to go later in rifle seasons.

I have gone nuts trying to purchase or have built a super light 6.5 PRC. I have a relationship with a gunsmith but he's months behind. I know my Steyr or 300 mag would suffice (both are 6 1/2 guns naked) but I've fallen prey to all the hype about 6.5 PRC's (not the least of which I've gotten by reading LRH). I've shot some feral hogs here in central Georgia with my little 6.5 CM - some even over 600 yards - and have concluded that cartridge, though terribly accurate, is just not enough to hunt elk.

I've concluded this forum is ripe with hunters that know so much more about what I am intrigued with, and I just had to join up.
Welcome to the forum from Tennessee it sounds like you have the experience to offer advice to many of us as well I'm looking forward to hearing from you

Welcome to the forum!! I look forward to exchanging thoughts and experiences with you.

I hunted Elk (unsuccessfully) with bow and arrow for about 9 years. Saw Elk but only once had a possible shot but decided not to take it because of the distance and wind.

Then 6 years ago I figured I'm not getting any younger so I tried a 4th season rifle in CO over by Craig where the herd is suppose to number 24,000 Elk. It turned out to be a warm and dry year so the Elk stayed up high. Even though I hunted 9500 to 10,500 feet I didn't see a single animal. Where do 24,000 large critters hide? Probably 10 miles from the nearest road where I'm not physically fit to go.. 😒
Thanks, glad to be here, and I emphasize with you as to physical condition and elk hunting results.

Quality intro. Welcome from Colorado.

ShtrRdy,

View attachment 256531

I took this shot as I looked up while cleaning my elk that year. Sat and watched them for about 20 minutes.

It was amazing to me that they came around while I was in the process of cleaning an animal (and really not too worried about my making noise in the process).

Yup. Close to 10 miles away from nearest road, that's for sure.

Again, to Mrkkid, welcome to the forum!
Thanks. Nice shot. How high were you?

Welcome to the forum from Tennessee it sounds like you have the experience to offer advice to many of us as well I'm looking forward to hearing from you
Thanks 338 Dude. I'm afraid I don't really qualify for "Long Range" but if I ever get a real LR rifle set up you guys will be a great source for me to learn from.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.