Just how tough are groundhogs?

Fitch, many thanks for sharing your load. Not familiar with Accurate powders but looks like I will be soon.

Fitch, many thanks for sharing your load. Not familiar with Accurate powders but looks like I will be soon.

You are welcome. I forgot to mention I use a 6" drop tube, makes it easier to get it all in. You can do it with a regular funnel but a drop tube is easier.

Fitch

I'm planning on seein what a 180 grain ballistic tip will do to em at 3000 fps from my 300wsm next year....not sure how big the ones around my family farm are but they destroyed one barn so far.....I hit one with my pickup a few years ago (99 f250 psd) stopped got dads 30-06 out n put a 125 grain ballistic tip right up his a** n watched him whoop my brothers black labs butt before she finally finished him.....(she goes nuts when she can see what your shooting, she's even retrieved our targets for us if we tell her go get em!)

If a groundhog weighed 100lbs you would hunt them with an Elephant Gun! Seen them take some hard hits, killed them with lots of previous injuries. Crazy how much one can take.
Daniel

Not very hard to kill. They are a small animal with a small kill zone. Hit them in the vitals or head and they die. Poor shot placement and they can be tough little buggers, they will drag their *** or guts a long way to a hole. I have killed them with everything from .22 to 375 H&H.
The one below was in the wrong place at the wrong time, I was testing out a new .338 Norma with 300 SMK's @ 2800 fps. They seem to work:)

IMG_0410.jpg

Codyjoe, I shot one with my 300wsm using 190 bergers at about 40 yds, southbound end of a northbound chuck, found two legs don't know where the rest went.

flyin lizard said:
Codyjoe, I shot one with my 300wsm using 190 bergers at about 40 yds, southbound end of a northbound chuck, found two legs don't know where the rest went.

Saweett! Can't wait!!!

Last year I spotted the biggest groundhog I've ever seen at an old barn. I tried for the rest of the season to get a shot at him, but never saw him again until today. I spotted him as soon as I pulled in at 150 yards, but he went into his hole. After waiting for over an hour, he finally emerged atop a pile of stacked logs. I fired one round of 50 gr blitzking and he turned slightly. Just to be sure, I shot again and he never moved. Certain that I finally got this monster I drove down, but to my amazement he was still alive. I could barely see him under the logs slowly moving around. I went back to the truck to get my rifle but he was gone. I've yet to have one crawl away with two shots. Anyone ever see a hog this tough? Just to be sure, I went home and repeated the shot at paper and the rifle was dead on. Really bummed out that I didn't get my "bigfoot".

I once shot a big 'hog that was digging around my uncle's vegetable garden. It took two arrows and three .22 rounds point blank for him to die. Tough suckers...

77ruger, The A-Max give you similar results with a high BC.
I reckon I must get them went they ain't wearing their Kevlar vests cause my .17 Ackley Hornet firing a 20 gr. V-Max at 3575 fps seems to anchor them directly! Out past 200 yds I pull out the big gun, the .223 and the 75 gr. A-Max! :rolleyes:

MrMajestic, I agree on the A-max's. My 223 is a 1-12 and loves the 40gr vmax. The 243 shoots 75gr vmax well but just as accurate with the 65gr, the 65's are higher vel. and more explosive. Oh yeah the 270 with a 110 gr vmax also works very well or give Mr Chuck w/Vmax flying lessons, now that is funny.

When I was younger I remember shooting a chuck 5 times with a 22 LR as it was dragging itself back to its den.

Now I use 125 grn speer tnt's. Love em. Havent had a chuck walk away yet ;) Now the 155grn AMAX is a little different. I've had them get away with that one. I guess its like comparing apples to oranges though. Just choose the right bullet for the right critter.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.