Just got back from Kodiak island Alaska

GabeV

Just got back from Kodiak island Alaska I was hunting brown bears. We were in the mountains **** that's tough hunting for a young man of 60 like myself. I had the right rifle my 338 378 Weatherby magnum AccuMark With a Swaro 2.5 to 10 x 56 Scope on it . We were hunting in the mountains near the American river mountain range . We saw 10 bears. But could only stock one we stocked it within 350 yards. My guide wouldn't let me shoot unless we were within 300 yards. I know I could hit it . but me being a fishing guide knowing that you should listen to the guide I didn't shoot. We sat there and watched him did some predator calls but he would not come out he was over 9 foot. So we went higher up the mountain to try to get a shot above him so we made the treacherous climb up the mountain to get above him. As we made our way back towards him we got to a plateau below him And try to sneak our way down we got to the first plateau the mountain to see it couldn't see the bear. So we snuck down to the second plateau about 300 yards above him still could not see the bear the mountain was too steep. As we walked back-and-forth above him looking to maybe be able to find a shot it was too steep the bear winded us and ran off I did not want to pull a running shot . Didn't want to wound an animal that big. So I held off the guide invited me back this fall to try again he said it'll be easier because the Bears will be in the streams. So back to Kodiak island again this fall it was a beautiful area to hunt lots of mountains. I will have to take some people's advice on here on how to train to get ready for this hunt it about killed me

Hey Gabe, all the mountains/hills on Kodiak are steep aren't they!! You look at a map and think oh, "that's only 3000 feet, it'll be easy". But then you're fighting thru alders and once you're out of them you can see just how steep it is. On one hunt there, there was a hill right behind our camp. It was "only" about 400 feet high, but it was so steep I could touch the hill in front of my face without extending my arm straight. And I'm only 5'7". But I love going there, planning a hunt for fall 24 now.

Gabe good luck this fall. Hope you shoot something bigger than this
Take Care
IMG_0836.jpeg

Hey Gabe, all the mountains/hills on Kodiak are steep aren't they!! You look at a map and think oh, "that's only 3000 feet, it'll be easy". But then you're fighting thru alders and once you're out of them you can see just how steep it is. On one hunt there, there was a hill right behind our camp. It was "only" about 400 feet high, but it was so steep I could touch the hill in front of my face without extending my arm straight. And I'm only 5'7". But I love going there, planning a hunt for fall 24 now.

Take Care
View attachment 462142
Really nice MOUNT!

Take Care
View attachment 462142

Looks like you did a wall mount, do so to conserve on space or was the hinny rubbed?

Just got back from Kodiak island Alaska I was hunting brown bears. We were in the mountains **** that's tough hunting for a young man of 60 like myself. I had the right rifle my 338 378 Weatherby magnum AccuMark With a Swaro 2.5 to 10 x 56 Scope on it . We were hunting in the mountains near the American river mountain range . We saw 10 bears. But could only stock one we stocked it within 350 yards. My guide wouldn't let me shoot unless we were within 300 yards. I know I could hit it . but me being a fishing guide knowing that you should listen to the guide I didn't shoot. We sat there and watched him did some predator calls but he would not come out he was over 9 foot. So we went higher up the mountain to try to get a shot above him so we made the treacherous climb up the mountain to get above him. As we made our way back towards him we got to a plateau below him And try to sneak our way down we got to the first plateau the mountain to see it couldn't see the bear. So we snuck down to the second plateau about 300 yards above him still could not see the bear the mountain was too steep. As we walked back-and-forth above him looking to maybe be able to find a shot it was too steep the bear winded us and ran off I did not want to pull a running shot . Didn't want to wound an animal that big. So I held off the guide invited me back this fall to try again he said it'll be easier because the Bears will be in the streams. So back to Kodiak island again this fall it was a beautiful area to hunt lots of mountains. I will have to take some people's advice on here on how to train to get ready for this hunt it about killed me
Good luck on your next adventure!!!
Get in shape, and be SAFE!
We all will be waiting for your story and pictures.

Get in the best shape you can and secondly for a 300 yard max I'd be all over a lighter and handier gun than an Accumark. Zero chance I'd carry a heavy toad anymore in the mountains for a 300 yarder.

Not trying to insult, just trying to help.

(it would be super easy to put together an "all up" 8 to 8.5 pound rig in 06, 300's or the 338 WM)

Hey,
The mount was done that way for two reasons, save some space and $$$. The closed mouth is the only way to go in my opinion. I also have a 6'6 chocolate color phase black bear rug and a Mt lion rug done with closed mouths, they look awesome too. Same taxidermist, Rich Hamilton, Brow Tine Taxidermy in North Pole AK.
Take Care

Glad you get to go back!

I'm happy for you ,But I think the guide should have cut you some slack at least 50 more yards, it's lots of ging to travel back and forth especially in these times ,and living out of state ,I'm sure he had you shoot your rifle to confirm your zero and marksmanship. Great luck on your upcoming adventure and here's hoping you get the biggest bear of your dreams!!!.🍀🍀🍀😉

Take Care
View attachment 462142
You're right there was many times I was on my hands and knees pulling myself up the mountain because it was so steep.