Just finished my pet project

turkn8r1

Hey guys. Been a while. Been working on a project gun for hunting season. A little background. Here in Ms. we can use a single shot brecch loader with exposed hammer 35 cal or larger for muzzel loading. They have changed the rules on private land but it still must be used during the early doe season. Go figure. For several years I have been tired of swapping guns to hunt regular gun and muzzel loading seasons. A friend of mine came up with an idea and had a set of reamers made. I first bought a stainless (not weathershield) T/C Pro Hunter receiver. I got with Bellm T/C and tricked it out and got a crisp 2# trigger. I had a 31" .358 1in 12 twist match barrel made by pac nor. Went to precision tool and gauge and got a couple of their encore barrel lugs. T/C provided the 300 wm extractor and the 20 gauge fore stock to fit the custom contour barrel. Indexed the barrel and tigged the lug on then went to the mill and smoothed the weld and milled the take down pin hole. Chucked the barrel up in the lathe again and chambered the barrel and threaded it for a muzzle break. went to the drill press and drilled the scope mount holes for the Murphy precision stainless piccattiny base. Finished reamed the chamber and set head space at .001". topped with a Warne Tactical Ramp platform and a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope. I am now the proud owner of a 375 RUM-358 which pushes 200 gr Barnes TTSX's at 3400fps with no pressure and very little recoil due to the custom made muzzle break we made to fit it and the barrel contour. Shooting 1/4 minute groups at 200. Looking forward to hunting season.

I have a custom 358 STA barrel from MGM I believe ( I would have to double check )for my Pro Hunter. It is a heck of a round for a Encore. The problem I am having with it is, it keeps shearing the forearm screws off. With 6 shots the screws are bent and 7 usually broke one screw and that is with screw holes made larger (8-40).

I am originally from MS and that setup you have will defiantly kill anything down there for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts